References whose source is not found ("Error: Reference source not found") can be repaired (context menu - Edit Fields). If one then selects the intended source from the list, a new reference code is created. Instead, the old code should be associated with the source.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Right-click on a reference marked as an error as above.
2. Edit Fields
3. Select intended source from list.
The code that was associated with the stranded reference is replaced by a new code which is assigned both to the source and to the reference.
The old code, still associated with the reference, should be assigned to the selected source.
User Profile Reset: No
OpenGL enabled: Yes
There may be more than one references in the document which are intended to refer to the same source. All of them are stranded if the code is lost from the source.
As it is now, each of the broken references is to be repaired manually by itself.
If the above suggestion were adopted, all of them would be repaired by repairing one of them.
Thank you for reporting the bug. Please attach a sample document, as this makes it easier for us to verify the bug.
(Please note that the attachment will be public, remove any sensitive information before attaching it.
See https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/FAQ#How_can_I_eliminate_confidential_data_from_a_sample_document.3F for help on how to do so.)
I have set the bug's status to 'NEEDINFO'. Please change it back to 'UNCONFIRMED' once the requested document is provided.
Created attachment 151131 [details]
attempting to restore broken references
Here is an ODT file containing several automatically numbered examples with references to them, broken in different ways. A broken reference cannot be restored; the most one can do is creating an entirely new reference.
[Automated Action] NeedInfo-To-Unconfirmed
I confirm ith with
Version: 184.108.40.206.alpha0+ (x64)
Build ID: 421e6fc3cd2e6fe37afbef341e2d0ad7b8edde37
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0; UI render: GL; VCL: win;
TinderBox: Win-x86_64@42, Branch:master, Time: 2019-04-07_01:12:58
Locale: en-US (de_DE); UI-Language: en-US
The problem becomes more critical, since you can't search for such broken references (see bug 87328). So in a huge document with many cross-references you might overlock such an error.