After reading several bug-reports related to this topic and testing did I found out that LibreOffice Writer is very capable to handle links relative to the main file.
If chosen in the options, all links inside the document itself are actually written as relative paths in the content.xml file inside the zipped document container.
Also creating several files inside a folder, link them together as relative links and then move the folder along the file-system does work for me.
However - and that is certainly what most users confuse is that all relative links are shown as absolute paths inside the UI e.g. under Format > Sections... or Navigator > Images.
Steps to Reproduce:
1.Make sure Options > Load/Save > General > Save URLs relative to file system is enabled
2. Create a new folder
3. Create a new document and add images, audio files and text files to the just created folder
4. Link the images, audio files and text files to the new document
5. Check the links ---> they are shown as absolute paths
6. Close the document and move the folder around the file-system
7. Re-open the document, all content is shown correctly
8. Re-check the links ---> they are updated correctly but still shown as absolute paths
Relative linked files are wrongly shown as absolute paths
Creating a relative path inside the path field is not possible
Relative links should actually shown as relative paths
Users should be able to create relative and absolute paths corresponding the syntax inside the path field e.g. "C:\User\Documents\Frontpage.odt" and "Subfolder\Frontpage.odt"
User Profile Reset: No
OpenGL enabled: Yes
Bug 86785 already informs about this behaver in later comments.
Thanks for reporting the bug. I haven't tested, but it sounds to me like a duplicate of bug 128216. Waht do you think?
Yes, it is the same bug.
P.S. Just re-checked and it's still the same behavior in Version: 220.127.116.11 (x64)
Build ID: d7547858d014d4cf69878db179d326fc3483e082
Also bug 135508 is related to relative path.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 128216 ***