1. Open Writer. Ensure your LibreOffice options are correct:
Menu > Tools > Options > Load/Save > General >
Save URLs relative to file system = True
2. Insert some linked image. The image should be in the same directory with the document.
3. Close Writer. Move the document with the image to some another directory.
4. Open Writer again. Ensure the image is visible.
5. Close Writer again. Move the image outside the directory. The image should not be visible in the document anymore.
In case all these steps works correctly for you, you know that the image is really the linked one, and linked via _relative_ path.
But then, if you look at this relative path, you will notice that it looks like the absolute one:
Open image properties window > Open Image tab >
See that the path in the File Name field looks
as the absolute one.
This issue leads to the following drawbacks:
1. First of all, this is just confusing. The user expect that relative paths should be displayed as relative. Therefore, when they see the relative path which looks like the absolute one, they think that this one is absolute.
2. In case the user need to change the relative paths into the absolute ones (or vice versa), and they already changed them, there will be no visual "signal" about this change. I.e. the paths "before" and "after" will look the same.
3. In case the relative paths will be displayed as relative (and absolute as absolute), it will be much more intuitive to change them. Something like:
Click on the linked image > Find its path >
change it from `./foo/bar.png`
Steps to Reproduce:
User Profile Reset: No
(In reply to John from comment #0)
> 2. Insert some linked image. The image should be in the same directory with
> the document.
Please excuse me, but I don't know how to insert a linked image (I always insert an image with Insert => Image)
(In reply to Dieter Praas from comment #1)
> (In reply to John from comment #0)
> > 2. Insert some linked image. The image should be in the same directory with
> > the document.
> Please excuse me, but I don't know how to insert a linked image (I always
> insert an image with Insert => Image)
The File Open dialog should have a "[ ] Link" checkbox
Confirmed and seems like a useful request.