In Impress (Draw is similar), the Gluepoints edit status displayed by Edit > Glue Points and the "Show Glue Points Funstions" icon on the Draw Bar do not reflect the status of View > Toolbars > Gluepoints.
The behaviour of the Edit Points toolbar is different but also not what should be expected.
Steps to Reproduce:
For the Glue Points toolbar:
1.Open Impress for a new document and note that the Edit > Glue Points and Draw Bar "Show Glue Points Functions" icons are showing as inactive.
2.Select: View > Toolbars > Gluepoints and note that the Glue Points Bar is displayed but neither of the icons have changed state.
3.Click on either icon and note the Glue Points Bar remains displayed.
4.Deselect: View > Toolbars > Gluepoints
5.Note the Glue Points Bar is now hidden but both icons remain showing as active.
6.Click on either icon again to deactivate it.
7.Click on either icon again to activate it and note that the Glue Points Bar is not displayed.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 several times noting that the Glue Points Bar is never displayed.
9.Select: View > Toolbars > Gluepoints and note the Glue Points Bar is displayed.
For the Edit Points toolbar:
1.Click on the Points icon on the Draw Bar to activate the function and note the Edit Points toolbar is not displayed.
2.Click on it again to deactivate it.
3.Select: View > Toolbars > Edit Points and note that the Edit Points Bar is displayed but the icon remains inactive.
4.Click the Points icon to activate it and note the Edit Points Bar remains displayed.
5.Deselect: View > Toolbars > Edit Points and note that the Edit Points Bar is gone but the icon in still active.
As observed in the Steps to Reproduce.
The Points icon on the Draw Bar and the Edit > Points selection, effectively, have no purpose at all. Availablility of the Edit Points Functions is entirely determined by the View > Toolbars > Edit Points active status.
The Glue Points Bar and the Edit > Glue Points and "Show Glue Points Functions" icons are not synchronized.
The Glue Points view status and the edit icons status should be in sync.
Similarly for the Edit Points functionality.
User Profile Reset: Yes
It's not clear why there are both the View > Toolbars AND the Edit menu entries when only one appears to be needed. The View entries could be removed altogether, provided the Edit Points Bar is displayed when Edit > Points or its Draw Bar icon are selected.
Looking at sdraw and comparing the Points and Glue Points behaviours to that of the Drawing toolbar, the View > Toolbars > Drawing and "Show Draw Functions" icon behaviour are the template for the others. Note that there is no Edit > Drawing menu entry to confuse things, only the View > Toolbars > Drawing menu entry.
Looking at sdraw again and, this time, the 3D-Settings functionality, there appears to be yet more inconsistency in behaviour within this set of tools.
1) the icon on the Drawing Bar that relates to View > Toolbars > 3D-Settings is called "Toggle Extrusion".
2) clicking the icon renders the selected 2D shapes as editable 3D shapes but there is no Edit > 3D-Settings entry as there is for Points and Gluepoints.
3) The "Toggle Extrusion" icon is grey out (not selectable) unless a shape is already selected, unlike the Points and Gluepoints icons.
4) as with Gluepoints and Points, the 3D-Settings toolbar can appear and disappear in seemingly unpredictable ways.
Ideally all of these toolbars would be presented and behave in the same way so that users can transfer their experience with one to the others.
Here's an example simply to illustrate the objective of a common set of behaviours for the Gluepoints, Points and 3D-Settings toolbars:
1) All three features would have entries in both the Edit and View > Toolbars menus.
2) If the entry in the Edit menu is selected, editing is enabled and remains persistent until deselected.
3) The icon on the Drawing Bar would be selectable without first selecting an applicable shape, and be the equivalent of selecting the entry in the Edit menu as described in (2).
4) When editing is enabled then, while a relatable shape is selected, the toolbar is displayed and applicable functions are selectable.
5) Enabling the toolbar in the View > Toolbars menu displays that toolbar and remains persistent between other operations and application restarts. Functions remain greyed out unless (4) is also met.
The 3D-Settings feature has an additional action not present with Points or Gluepoints, which is to display or not the 3D settings that have been applied to 2D shapes on the page. This is neither an Edit nor a View > Toolbars > 3D-Settings function and requires a separate selectable entry somewhere, perhaps in the shape's context menu or the style, or both.
(In reply to Ross Johnson from comment #0)
> 4.Deselect: View > Toolbars > Gluepoints
> 5.Note the Glue Points Bar is now hidden but both icons remain showing as
I only reproduce this. I guess it's inconsistent and unexpected.
Version: 22.214.171.124.alpha0+ (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 6834fda784f3066a89838cd6cda4fe945f4c7904
CPU threads: 2; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: default; VCL: win
Locale: fi-FI (fi_FI); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded Jumbo
Arch Linux 64-bit
Version: 126.96.36.199.alpha0+ / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: b45867766184ad1200df4183dab537fac9e83ea2
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.19; UI render: default; VCL: kf5 (cairo+xcb)
Locale: fi-FI (fi_FI.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Built on 13 October 2022
1. In Impress, still reproducing the disconnect between showing the Gluepoints toolbar with View > Toolbars, and the status of the Edit menu and Drawing toolbar.
2. I also reproduce the issue of the toolbar button and the Edit menu item rendered useless once the toolbar has been hidden with the View > Toolbar menu.
Version: 188.8.131.52.alpha0+ (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 5cd9de202765e243e41416802f3e4486b8a96f16
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-AU (en_AU.UTF-8); UI: en-US
1 and 2 also reproduce in OOo 3.3, so the issue is inherited.
For the Edit Points part, we also have bug 36943 which was originally focused on Calc.