Problem description: Navigation Dialog lacks a search function. Alternately Edit > Find lacks an option to only search headers
Steps to reproduce:
1. Open a document with headers
2. Press F5
3. The only way to find a section is to manually scroll and read through perhaps two or three hundred header entries
Current behavior: Some documents are large and complex. A topic may be mentioned many many times in a document but the main discussion of the topic will have a header. Using the edit > find function forces the user to search manually through perhaps dozens of mentions of the topic before finding the section devoted to the topic.
Expected behavior: Please implement a search function in the Navigator dialog that will find entries in the Header section of the tree.
Platform (if different from the browser): Fedora 16
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
We never had that, might be a good Idea, but imho low priority
Please read this message in its entirety before responding.
Your bug was confirmed at least 1 year ago and has not had any activity on it for over a year. Your bug is still set to NEW which means that it is open and confirmed. It would be nice to have the bug confirmed on a newer version than the version reported in the original report to know that the bug is still present -- sometimes a bug is inadvertently fixed over time and just never closed.
If you have time please do the following:
1) Test to see if the bug is still present on a currently supported version of LibreOffice (preferably 4.2 or newer).
2) If it is present please leave a comment telling us what version of LibreOffice and your operating system.
3) If it is NOT present please set the bug to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave a short comment telling us your version and Operating System
Please DO NOT
1) Update the version field
2) Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
3) Set the bug to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not appropriate in this case)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
LibreOffice is powered by a team of volunteers, every bug is confirmed (triaged) by human beings who mostly give their time for free. We invite you to join our triaging by checking out this link:
There are also other ways to get involved including with marketing, UX, documentation, and of course developing - http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/.
Lastly, good bug reports help tremendously in making the process go smoother, please always provide reproducible steps (even if it seems easy) and attach any and all relevant material
Are there 2 issues mixed? Only header search and Find dialog in Navigator/Sidebar?
Search functionality is covered by Bug 95405 - Sidebar deck for find/search and replace.
I support the idea of a fast search feature in the Navigator to search/browse through the Navigator element names (all headings, images, tables, etc.) With that in big documents you can search through image names (not caption name) and other names/definitions of Navigator objects.
A search field is desirable and part of the mockup at https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2016/07/31/how-the-navigator-may-support-object-handling-in-libreoffice-draw/; removing UX.
*** Bug 126483 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***