The proxy issue is a very long outstanding issue, since OpenOffice.org back to 2004. Every new version OpenOffice or LibreOffice came out, that is the first things I tested. It is the biggest barrier for me to move from other commercial spreadsheet to LO/OO. Below is the problem description.
Open a worksheet. Insert -> Link to External Data. Type a webpage URL that contain tables into the box, then press Enter. I tried various settings in the Internet Proxy - it still cannot connect to Internet. In OO bugzilla, someone recommended libproxy. Is that something can be done easily? I think the UI need bit of overhaul.. more friendly. Thanks.
Thanks for bugreport
See also Bug 35040, Bug 47331, Bug 47603, Bug 49043 and some another. Very interesting problem.
Hello, I can confirm that LibreOffice is not able to access the internet under windows from within a common business network that restricts Internet access to a filtering proxy.
The Proxy is detected by setting a script or automatically by both IE and Firefox, but Libreoffice fails to detect the script or read the IE settings.
Blocks a lot of people from using libreoffice professionally and forces me to do updates manually (they are never detected).
The corresponding openoffice bug is here:
** Please read this message in its entirety before responding **
To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today, LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open, confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.
There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still present.
If you have time, please do the following:
Test to see if the bug is still present on a currently supported version of LibreOffice (4.3.5 or later): https://www.libreoffice.org/download/
If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the version of LibreOffice and your operating system, and any changes you see in the bug behavior
If the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave a short comment that includes your version of LibreOffice and Operating System
Please DO NOT
Update the version field
Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not appropriate in this case)
Thank you for your help!
-- The LibreOffice QA Team
As requested, downloaded and tested. Details are as follows:-
LibreOffice Version: 184.108.40.206 (Portable)
Platform : Windows (Windows 7 64 bit)
1. Test data/table download from M$ Excel from URL.
2. Excel CAN download data from the URL.
3. Open Calc.
4. Calc -> Options -> Internet -> Proxy.
Proxy server = "System".
5. Insert -> Link to External Data..
6. Error "Could not establish Internet connection to uniservices.uob.com.my."
7. Configured Calc Proxy = "None"
8. Close Calc & Re-open
9. Repeat step 5. Error (Step 6) appeared again.
Conclusion: Bugs still present. Software behavior is not per expectation.
Still not fixed in version 5.1 - means LO is still not usable for the rare business that uses a mandatory filtering proxy (i.e. any decent size company).
(In reply to Moritz Moeller-Herrmann from comment #5)
> Still not fixed in version 5.1 - means LO is still not usable for the rare
> business that uses a mandatory filtering proxy (i.e. any decent size
I'm working on bug 99246, this is probably in the same area.
Couple of questions:
1) did you try with proxy manual setting on LO?
2) what kind of authentication do the server have?
Works in manual setting on LibreOffice Version: 5.2.4.
Oddly, I cannot try "system" setting. When I select "system" and click "ok", as soon as I return to the proxy dialog bug, the "manual" setting shows up. LO refuses to go back to "system" setting. No message shows up.
Changing version back to the earliest affected version.
Still does not work in libreoffice 6.0 - neither setting proxy to "system" nor "manual" work, though an authentication dialog pops up once (and then fails to authenticate, if system credentials are chosen).
Sorry, but actually LibO‘s proxy support is a very annoying thing.
I can confirm that LibO doesn‘t understand scripts or IE settings.
So I configured our proxy manually in the settings. Now when trying to access a weblink, LibO prompts me for credentials. Instead of entering them, ticking “use system credentials” let’s me access the web.
Why is “use system credentials” not the default behavior? I think that the integrated authentication would work in most cases and only if not, LibO should prompt the user for his credentials. The next problem here: this setting can't be set in the options and so users have to tick it again each time they start LibO.
To avoid that I decided to create a “proxy user” and stored its credentials in the settings for all users. On the first view it worked but then I noticed, that LibO for some weird reason doesn’t save this credentials for the proxy itself, but only for the accessed website and you have to re-enter it again and again.
Please fix that ASAP because at the moment LibO is unsuitable for all environments running a webproxy.
For now making integrated authentication as a default and saving the „use system credentials“ setting could be helpful.