Bug 51791 - LibreOffice crashes often with Cinch running in Mac OS X Lion
Summary: LibreOffice crashes often with Cinch running in Mac OS X Lion
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 49942
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: LibreOffice (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
3.5.4 release
Hardware: x86-64 (AMD64) Mac OS X (All)
: medium critical
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-07-06 10:10 UTC by Ran Liwag
Modified: 2012-09-19 15:17 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
crash output (57.43 KB, text/plain)
2012-07-06 10:10 UTC, Ran Liwag
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Ran Liwag 2012-07-06 10:10:19 UTC
Created attachment 63898 [details]
crash output

There are many stability issues in LibreOffice for OS X. Many crashes I have had are random, non-reproducible crashes. I need more stability in general. I tried disabling auto-updating, but that didn't solve the problem. Is it perhaps the version of Java that is loaded by default in OS X?
 
I have only had one reproducible crash in LibreOffice, in Calc. Whenever I try to put borders around cells (regardless of how many), it crashes and I get this crash output from the operating system. The output is in the attachment.

Thanks!
Comment 1 Roman Eisele 2012-07-11 09:10:02 UTC
A first hint: from the crash log we can infer that Ran Liwag uses LibreOffice on MacOS X 10.7.4. More and more I get the impression that we have some serious stability problems especially on MacOS X 10.7.x; because on 10.6.8, which I use, LibreOffice works quite well (if no accessibility features are enabled and if the user profile is clean). One reason could be the way Apple delivers its JRE/JDK now (see, e.g., bug 44679).


@Ran Liwag:
Thank you very much for the bug report! I'm sorry that LibreOffice crashes so often for you. We can, however, try to find out if the reason for these crashes is a known problem (and therefore a solution/workaround exists).

1) Could you please first try to reproduce with a brand new LO profile (see
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile)? We have at least on similar bug report (see bug 51323) which reports about many crashes on MacOS X 10.7.x, which was simply solved by resetting the user profile. Maybe this will help you, too, so please try this.

2) Do you have any accessibility utilities enabled? This is to say, have you enabled any of the options in the section "Universal Access" of the MacOS X System Prefererences? E.g., "VoiceOver" or "Zoom" or "Enable acces for assistance devices"? Or do you have installed any other special utilities like a screenreader for people with visual impairment, or some window management application like "Moom", or anything similar? This point is important because many accessibility utilities are known to cause crashes with LibreOffice ... (see e.g. bug 47368 with many duplicates). So please try to disable any such settings and utilities.

There is a good chance that one of these suggestion helps you. Please try them and report here if one of them has helped to make LibreOffice run more stable for you -- or not. Thank you very much in advance! If no one of these suggestions helps, we can take further steps to track down the problem.
Comment 2 Ran Liwag 2012-07-11 18:59:14 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> A first hint: from the crash log we can infer that Ran Liwag uses LibreOffice
> on MacOS X 10.7.4. More and more I get the impression that we have some serious
> stability problems especially on MacOS X 10.7.x; because on 10.6.8, which I
> use, LibreOffice works quite well (if no accessibility features are enabled and
> if the user profile is clean). One reason could be the way Apple delivers its
> JRE/JDK now (see, e.g., bug 44679).
> 
> 
> @Ran Liwag:
> Thank you very much for the bug report! I'm sorry that LibreOffice crashes so
> often for you. We can, however, try to find out if the reason for these crashes
> is a known problem (and therefore a solution/workaround exists).
> 
> 1) Could you please first try to reproduce with a brand new LO profile (see
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile)? We have at least on similar
> bug report (see bug 51323) which reports about many crashes on MacOS X 10.7.x,
> which was simply solved by resetting the user profile. Maybe this will help
> you, too, so please try this.
> 
> 2) Do you have any accessibility utilities enabled? This is to say, have you
> enabled any of the options in the section "Universal Access" of the MacOS X
> System Prefererences? E.g., "VoiceOver" or "Zoom" or "Enable acces for
> assistance devices"? Or do you have installed any other special utilities like
> a screenreader for people with visual impairment, or some window management
> application like "Moom", or anything similar? This point is important because
> many accessibility utilities are known to cause crashes with LibreOffice ...
> (see e.g. bug 47368 with many duplicates). So please try to disable any such
> settings and utilities.
> 
> There is a good chance that one of these suggestion helps you. Please try them
> and report here if one of them has helped to make LibreOffice run more stable
> for you -- or not. Thank you very much in advance! If no one of these
> suggestions helps, we can take further steps to track down the problem.

I have tried resetting the user profile, disabling auto-updating, and disabling accessibility preferences and none of them have worked. But I have found my problem. I have a windows snapping program for the Mac (like in Windows 7), and it relied heavily on accessibility services. I disabled it. Thank you for your help.
Comment 3 Roman Eisele 2012-07-11 19:14:20 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> I have tried resetting the user profile, disabling auto-updating, and disabling
> accessibility preferences and none of them have worked. But I have found my
> problem. I have a windows snapping program for the Mac (like in Windows 7), and
> it relied heavily on accessibility services. I disabled it. Thank you for your
> help.

Thank you very much for your report! I am glad that you found the source of the problem. Just a last question: What's the name of the windows snapping program you used? (This can be of interest for other users of the same application, and it makes my life easier if I can ask people who report about constant crashes directly if they use that program. ;-) Thank you!

*

I mark this report as a duplicate of bug 47368 for now -- it is not a duplicate in the exact sense of the word, however it is just another issue which is at least related to accessibility services (see comment #2: "it relied heavily on accessibility services"!).

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 47368 ***
Comment 4 Ran Liwag 2012-07-11 20:23:07 UTC
(In reply to comment #3)
> (In reply to comment #2)
> > I have tried resetting the user profile, disabling auto-updating, and disabling
> > accessibility preferences and none of them have worked. But I have found my
> > problem. I have a windows snapping program for the Mac (like in Windows 7), and
> > it relied heavily on accessibility services. I disabled it. Thank you for your
> > help.
> 
> Thank you very much for your report! I am glad that you found the source of the
> problem. Just a last question: What's the name of the windows snapping program
> you used? (This can be of interest for other users of the same application, and
> it makes my life easier if I can ask people who report about constant crashes
> directly if they use that program. ;-) Thank you!
> 
> *
> 
> I mark this report as a duplicate of bug 47368 for now -- it is not a duplicate
> in the exact sense of the word, however it is just another issue which is at
> least related to accessibility services (see comment #2: "it relied heavily on
> accessibility services"!).
> 
> *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 47368 ***

Cinch for OS X, LINK: http://goo.gl/DOgc
Comment 5 Roman Eisele 2012-07-12 06:49:15 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
> Cinch for OS X, LINK: http://goo.gl/DOgc

Thanks!
Comment 6 Roman Eisele 2012-07-15 17:53:19 UTC
Adjusted Summary to make it easier to find this report.
Comment 7 Roman Eisele 2012-07-24 08:36:53 UTC
For the record:

I can reproduce this bug with LibO 3.6.0.2+ (actually, with Norbert’s debug
build of 3.6.0.2) on MacOS X 10.6.8, but only when RightZoom is installed and running. See attachment 64555 [details], which looks quite different from Ran Liwag’s one...
Comment 8 Roman Eisele 2012-07-24 08:38:19 UTC
(In reply to comment #7)

Sorry -- which "I can reproduce this bug", I mean, I can reproduce the "one reproducible crash" mentioned in the original description:

> [...] Whenever I try
> to put borders around cells (regardless of how many), it crashes and I get this
> crash output from the operating system. The output is in the attachment.

My crash log file (attachment 64555 [details]) is made on this type of crash.
Comment 9 Roman Eisele 2012-09-19 15:17:31 UTC
Mac Accessibility Related Bugs Survey Results
---------------------------------------------

The stack trace attached to this bug report is extremely similar to the stack trace for bug 49942. The description of both bugs looks different first, but then you see what is common:
* both bugs occur only when Cinch is running
* according to comment #0, the crash log attached to the present bug report was created when you “try to put borders around cells”. To do so, one needs to invoke “Format > Cells...“ from the menu, and then to select then “Borders” tab of the “Format Cells” dialog window. Bug 49942 is about changing the the border properties of a table in Writer, which involves the same “Borders” tab, just this time accessed via “Table > Table Properties... > Borders”.

Therefore it is very likely that the crash mentioned in the present bug report has the same roots as the crash in bug 49942.

I will continue my survey with bug 49942, and make any additional comments in that bug report.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 49942 ***