I just started using index entries, but I found several problems and deficits. As I think those are closely related, I'm going to bundle them in this report:
When creating index entries using "1st key", the pulldown list contains duplicates for keys being used.
When the last entry added was using "1st key", then the next time the dialog is opened, the _first_ key from the list of "1st key" is automatically selected; usually this is not what the user wants.
"Apply to all similar texts" seems it cannot be undone.
There seems to be no way to correct an index entry, and it seems very hard even to locate those easily.
There seems to be no way to delete an index entry.
If there are multiple index entries added for one selection (e.g. "write-through Cache" and "write-through" with 1st key "Cache"), this cannot be detected visually.
Index entries are missing a "see" or "see also" type of entry, e.g. "DMA see also Direct Memory Access" (it would be great if all further "DMA" entries would be added to the "see also" target. OK, this feature needs further discussion most likely...
I forgot one thing: The non-modal dialog to add index entries doesn't close when adding an entry, but it doesn't update properly:
If you double-click (select) some word, then use the menu to open the index entry dialog, the current selection is suggested for addition.
If you keep the dialog open and double-click (select) another word, the proposal in the dialog is not updated.
Therefore it makes little sense to keep the dialog open after adding one entry.
As another note, I found that bug 43530 (items 1 and 2) had reported similar issues than I did.
I am closing this as a duplicate per comment 1. If you disagree please provide reproducible steps and set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED. Thanks!
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 43530 ***