1. I am puzzled also about the indexing application in Writer. I am indexxing a long transcript of a historical document. Entering an index entry has pitfalls because the Help does not make it clear that "Entry" and the first Kkey need to be the same, with any extra text added ("Barker, Sir Richard - will of" when "Barker" is the Entry.) because First Key is what appears at the head of the actual index, whereas "Entry", which in my (latest) version appears after the first and second keys needs to be told not to print.
2. I also find that the Index Entry dialogue behaves very peculiarly if you leave it up but go to refer to another file for information or whatever; it reverts to its first entry or qa string of other entries from previous indexing, and it is not clear in any help that I have seen how the up-down arrows and the right and left behave. This has been very frustrating when doing two or three hundred entries!!
3. After attempting it in OOo and now in Libre - which I like! - I still have not managed to understand the process for entering hyperlinks in the Indexing system. If the row of boxes with the "E" and the "#" etc were better explained and it were to say "This box is for .... and is where the start of the hyperlink goes" and similarly for the ending,it might help the elderly llike me!"
4. Autocorrect -
I use it a great deal with "shorthand" abbreviations to save retyping a lot of long words and short phrases which recur in the book I am writing, Why is it so slow to appear and idsappear when you press ALT -T- A and OK to revert to the document?? It cqn take six or seven seconds, which is not helpful to productivity
Its a great program and my wife and daughter now use it. Perhaps I am testing it more, soI would like to hear from someone authoritative if they can spare the time.
> 1. I am puzzled also about the indexing application in Writer. ...
Please, attach any document that demonstrates this problem
> 3. After attempting it in OOo and now in Libre ...
My be explanation from here can somehow help:
Bug 40948 - UI · EDITING: Hyperlink on page number in a Table of contents impossible via right button (mouse click)
> 4. Autocorrect -
Developers work on optimization, but it will take time. Very much work.
Created attachment 57308 [details]
example of alphabetical index
Steps to reproduce initial problem:
0. Open attachment
1. Place cursor near end or first page
2. Insert->Indexes and tables->Entry
3. Inter "bar" in field "Entry" press tab to go to field "1st key", enter "bar" there, press tab to go to field "2st key", enter "bar" there, press tab to go to button "Insert", press enter.
Expected: all mentioned field contains "bar".
Actually: second field contains "Barker Sir John"
4. repeat step 2 and 3 but not enter somenting into field "2st key"
Expected: field "Entry" contains "bar", "1st key" contains "bar", "2st key" contains nothing.
Actually: field "1st key" contains "Barker Sir John", "2st key" contains "in her own right"
We see that autocompletion forces selecting some variant, not proposes (compare how Firefox proposes autocompletion of web address or fields content).
Problem is even worse by two another problems:
1. Dialog "Insert index entry" fields is too small, we often can not see if autocompletion occurs or not.
2. When we place mouse cursor on our field, we only see "Alphabetical index: bar", we can not verify contents of "1st key" and "2st key" fields
So, improvement can be:
1. Disable autocompletion or improve it for not force completion.
2. Clear values of "1st key" and "2st key" fields after pressed button "Insert" in dialog
3. Increase size of dialog "Insert index entry" and fields inside
4. Add displaying contents of "1st key" and "2st key" fields in tooltip (especially if option "Extended tips" selected)
Thank you for all the emails which I have only today been able to examine. I
am not sure that I fully comprehend them, but my understanding is that you
have proposed alterations which may come in due course!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 12:14 PM
Subject: [Bug 43530] Functionality request for Writer: improve dialog
"Insert index entry"
> email@example.com changed:
> What |Removed |Added
> Summary|Indexing of book |Functionality request for
> | |Writer: improve dialog
> | |"Insert index entry"
> Configure bugmail: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email
> ------- You are receiving this mail because: -------
> You reported the bug.
*** Bug 68367 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Adding needsUXEval to discuss that again after six and a half years.