Bug 69445 - FILESAVE: Footnotes (and page numbers) vanish in .docx
Summary: FILESAVE: Footnotes (and page numbers) vanish in .docx
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 58086
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
(earliest affected) release
Hardware: Other Windows (All)
: high major
Assignee: Not Assigned
Whiteboard: BSA
Depends on:
Reported: 2013-09-16 23:28 UTC by pwaldkirch
Modified: 2014-05-04 00:41 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description pwaldkirch 2013-09-16 23:28:13 UTC
The short version is that all my footnotes were gone when I re-opened a file. The actual superscript numbers were present in the main body of the text, as were the footnote numbers at the bottom of the page, but all actual contents of the footnotes were gone. There were 212 footnotes. I have a lot of work ahead of me... (The page numbers were gone as well, but I don't really care about those too much!)

I do note that one footnote survived. I think it may have been in a different style than all the others. It was simply "footnote", whereas I think all the others were "footnote text". I can't check since (multiple) earlier versions of the file have the same problem.

The file began life as a .docx created by Word (2007, I think, but it might have been 2010) on a Windows 7 box. I then worked on it using LO 4.0.5 on Windows 8 (I know, I know!). At some point I upgraded to LO and continued to work on it. I'm pretty certain that once I upgraded to LO I kept the program open (i.e. overnight) while I worked on it, and it wasn't until I closed the program and re-opened the files that the footnotes were gone. I was very, very sad.

The .docx file is not openable at all in Word (or by Gmail's "view document" feature). I was able to get a version that could be opened in Word by saving it as an .odt and then as a .doc (not .docx), but the footnotes of course were still gone. The original .docx can create a working PDF, but the footnotes aren't there.

A crushing, discouraging bug!

Operating System: Windows 8
Version: release
Comment 1 retired 2013-09-17 08:42:52 UTC
Hi there, and this indeed sounds like a frustrating bug. Don't you have any backup of the file?

Could you attach the file in question so further testing can be done. Where you able to reproduce this problem with other files as well or only this single file?
Comment 2 pwaldkirch 2013-09-17 17:26:21 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> Hi there, and this indeed sounds like a frustrating bug. Don't you have any
> backup of the file?
> Could you attach the file in question so further testing can be done. Where
> you able to reproduce this problem with other files as well or only this
> single file?

I did have backups of the file -- I saved the file over multiple versions while I worked on it over the span of several days -- but they all have the same problem. Even a version from a few days ago has the same problem, and at that point I was only up to 154 footnotes; the document was still far from complete. I emailed backups to myself etc as I worked on it (when I finished a major section, when I completed the first draft, etc), but they all have the same problem.

I started working on it at work; I then emailed it to myself at home, renamed it, and started working on it more. The original version from work is fine, but all subsequent versions don't have the footnote contents.

Unfortunately, I don't think I can post the file. It's for work and my boss would not be pleased.
Comment 3 pwaldkirch 2013-09-18 21:58:17 UTC
A bit more info. I've tried opening the file in MS Office; the file doesn't open, but I get the following error message: 

A document must contain exactly one root element.

Location: Part: /word/document.xml, Line: 2, Column: 134498
Comment 4 pwaldkirch 2013-09-19 20:33:40 UTC
Earlier versions of the same document (saved while the work was still in progress) are also unable to be opened in Word, but the "column" where the error is found is different in each case. Otherwise the error message is the same.
Comment 5 Jean-Baptiste Faure 2013-09-27 10:30:29 UTC
Hmmm, LO 4.1.1 should not be used in production work, it is too young. For your professional work, you should use LO 4.0.5 version. Please try LO 4.1.x versions but wait at least 4.1.2 or 4.1.3 to use it in professional work.

Another best practice is to not work in ooxml format but use it only as export format.

Did you try to open your file with LO 4.0.5?

Best regards. JBF
Comment 6 Erik 2013-10-08 15:34:25 UTC
Running v4.1.2.3, the same problem is occurring.  My footer is vanishing after every save.  Further, now every time I open LO it attempts to recover a file, always failing.  I can't help but to think these are related, as they began occurring within five minutes of one another.
Comment 7 Timur 2013-10-10 11:00:02 UTC
For the footnotes, see Bug 58086 - FILESAVE: Some footnotes lost after filesave to docx. But, there seem to have been some changes in handling the footnotes recently. Anyway, I couldn't reproduce the problem with LO 4.1.2 on Windows.

For saving to docx, see Bug 59918 - FILESAVE: FILEOPEN: save document as docx and reopen result in an freeze/endless loop. Bug still valid.

Since there are no specific files to prove a separate issue, I suggest this be closed as DUPLICATE of one of the above.
Comment 8 tommy27 2014-05-04 00:41:44 UTC
I agree with Timur.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 58086 ***