Bug 72613 - .desktop files miss translations & specify nonexisting icons -> file types (OpenDocument Text, etc.) untranslated, files with blank icon
Summary: .desktop files miss translations & specify nonexisting icons -> file types (O...
Status: RESOLVED INVALID
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: framework (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.1.3.2 release
Hardware: All Linux (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2013-12-11 19:13 UTC by Mihkel Tõnnov
Modified: 2014-08-04 16:15 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Mihkel Tõnnov 2013-12-11 19:13:50 UTC
The libreoffice4.1-*.desktop files in /usr/share/mimelnk/application are broken in two ways:
1) they don't contain any localisation for the "Comment" field, i.e. file type visible to user, like "OpenDocument Text";
2) they specify either non-existing icons (for ODF types -- things like "oasis-text" instead of "libreoffice4.1-oasis-text") or no icon whatsoever (for MSO types).

I agree that it is a "cosmetic" issue, but it leaves bad impression of the product, since the content of a folder with ODF files looks ugly due to this.

Confirmed with 4.1.4.1 (that version is absent from above list, btw) DEB-packages for x86 (as published by TDF), but this is probably already older. Windows seems to be unaffected, can't test on Mac.

4.2.0 beta 2 is also affected.
Comment 1 Jean-Baptiste Faure 2013-12-12 21:32:54 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> The libreoffice4.1-*.desktop files in /usr/share/mimelnk/application are
> broken in two ways:
> 1) they don't contain any localisation for the "Comment" field, i.e. file
> type visible to user, like "OpenDocument Text";

Indeed, but can't be fixed in 4.1 branch as we can't add translatable strings in bugfixes. Need to wait 4.2 (very short time) or 4.3

> 2) they specify either non-existing icons (for ODF types -- things like
> "oasis-text" instead of "libreoffice4.1-oasis-text") or no icon whatsoever
> (for MSO types).

Not sure if that is a bug.
> 
> I agree that it is a "cosmetic" issue, but it leaves bad impression of the
> product, since the content of a folder with ODF files looks ugly due to this.

Could you elaborate a bit on this? If a screencopy could show what you mean by "looks ugly", please attach one to this bug report.

> 
> Confirmed with 4.1.4.1 (that version is absent from above list, btw)
> DEB-packages for x86 (as published by TDF), but this is probably already
> older. Windows seems to be unaffected, can't test on Mac.

Hmmm, AFAIK desktop files are Linux only.

> 
> 4.2.0 beta 2 is also affected.
Indeed.

Best regards. JBF
Comment 2 Mihkel Tõnnov 2013-12-14 17:59:39 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> (In reply to comment #0)
> > The libreoffice4.1-*.desktop files in /usr/share/mimelnk/application are
> > broken in two ways:
> > 1) they don't contain any localisation for the "Comment" field, i.e. file
> > type visible to user, like "OpenDocument Text";
> 
> Indeed, but can't be fixed in 4.1 branch as we can't add translatable
> strings in bugfixes. Need to wait 4.2 (very short time) or 4.3

The strings are already translated -- they're just not used in Linux for some reason. On Windows, I get "OpenDocument-tekst" (in Estonian), in Linux I get "OpenDocument Text" (in English).

> > 2) they specify either non-existing icons (for ODF types -- things like
> > "oasis-text" instead of "libreoffice4.1-oasis-text") or no icon whatsoever
> > (for MSO types).
> 
> Not sure if that is a bug.

What is it, then? LibO *should* provide icons at least for the ODF file types, shouldn't it? Note that the icons are provided, just not specified correctly in the .desktop files (resulting in blank icons for ODF-files). For comparison, the icons *are* set on Windows.

> > I agree that it is a "cosmetic" issue, but it leaves bad impression of the
> > product, since the content of a folder with ODF files looks ugly due to this.
> 
> Could you elaborate a bit on this? If a screencopy could show what you mean
> by "looks ugly", please attach one to this bug report.

Looks ugly = all .odt, .ods, .odp files have a blank icon (otherwise used for unknown file types). So if user has chosen to hide file extensions and disable previews, the file type is not obviously visible.

> > Confirmed with 4.1.4.1 (that version is absent from above list, btw)
> > DEB-packages for x86 (as published by TDF), but this is probably already
> > older. Windows seems to be unaffected, can't test on Mac.
> 
> Hmmm, AFAIK desktop files are Linux only.

Yes, of course. What I meant was that file types & icons are specified correctly on Windows.
Comment 3 Mihkel Tõnnov 2013-12-14 18:05:45 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> The strings are already translated -- they're just not used in Linux for
> some reason. On Windows, I get "OpenDocument-tekst" (in Estonian), in Linux
> I get "OpenDocument Text" (in English).

Okay, "tekst" and "Text" are similar enough, but "OpenDocument Spreadsheet" or ".. Presentation" vs. "OpenDocument-arvutustabel" or "-esitlus" might take a moment for a non-anglophone user :)
Comment 4 Jean-Baptiste Faure 2013-12-16 05:25:47 UTC
I have the ODF icons (I do not use previews) on my desktop under Ubuntu 13.10 with Unity window manager and Nautilus as file manager.

What are your Linux distribution and your window manager? Please attach a screencopy showing the problem for you. 

Best regards. JBF
Comment 5 QA Administrators 2014-07-08 17:29:23 UTC
Dear Bug Submitter,

This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least 6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INVALID due to lack of needed information.

For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the wiki located here: 
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/FDO/NEEDINFO

If you have already provided the requested information, please mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the bug is ready to be confirmed.


Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!


Warm Regards,
QA Team
Comment 6 QA Administrators 2014-08-04 16:15:25 UTC
Dear Bug Submitter,

Please read this message in its entirety before proceeding.

Your bug report is being closed as INVALID due to inactivity and a lack of information which is needed in order to accurately reproduce and confirm the problem. We encourage you to retest your bug against the latest release. If the issue is still present in the latest stable release, we need the following information (please ignore any that you've already provided):

a) Provide details of your system including your operating system and the latest version of LibreOffice that you have confirmed the bug to be present

b) Provide easy to reproduce steps – the simpler the better

c) Provide any test case(s) which will help us confirm the problem

d) Provide screenshots of the problem if you think it might help

e) Read all comments and provide any requested information

Once all of this is done, please set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED and we will attempt to reproduce the issue. 
Please do not:
a) respond via email 
b) update the version field in the bug or any of the other details on the top section of FDO