Bug 75122 - SPELLCHECK: grammar check loops indefinitely when both 'convert to metric' and 'convert to non-metric' are enabled
Summary: SPELLCHECK: grammar check loops indefinitely when both 'convert to metric' an...
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.2.0.4 release
Hardware: All All
: lowest trivial
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard: BSA
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Spell-Checking
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-02-17 22:14 UTC by John Smith
Modified: 2017-01-03 19:37 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
An ODT test document with comments, illustrating the problems. (242.26 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)
2014-02-17 22:14 UTC, John Smith
Details
ODT to show 'Convert' problem. (66.51 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)
2014-07-09 20:25 UTC, John Smith
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description John Smith 2014-02-17 22:14:54 UTC
Created attachment 94244 [details]
An ODT test document with comments, illustrating the problems.

Problem description: 

The options in the English sentence checking dialogue for checking Em dash; En dash; Minus sign; Convert to metric and Convert to non-metric do not work. The grammar checker with these options enabled, fails to detect them.

This also is evident in release 4.2.1.1
              
Operating System: Windows XP
Version: 4.2.0.4 release
Comment 1 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-07-07 03:44:19 UTC
Hello John,

I tested your submitted file against 4.2.5 and 4.3.0 and en dash, convert to metric and convert to non-metric do currently work. What presently didnt work is unspaced em dash and minus sign. Can you please confirm this from your end?
Comment 2 John Smith 2014-07-09 20:24:06 UTC
(In reply to comment #1)
> Hello John,
> 
> I tested your submitted file against 4.2.5 and 4.3.0 and en dash, convert to
> metric and convert to non-metric do currently work. What presently didnt
> work is unspaced em dash and minus sign. Can you please confirm this from
> your end?

Hi Jay,
I've added another attachment which I hope will explain the problem with the two 'Convert' functions
Comment 3 John Smith 2014-07-09 20:25:39 UTC
Created attachment 102502 [details]
ODT to show 'Convert' problem.
Comment 4 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-07-10 19:51:42 UTC
Yes i had noticed previously that if i didnt have the convert options checked before loading the file they will not be active. I didnt consider this a bug, as i assumed it couldnt reloading the grammar checking rules on an active file.

Regarding the "grammar checker goes into a loop converting and re-converting a single selected value", yes if i tell it to correct 20 °C as 68 °F, it will loop back asking to correct 68 °F to 20 °C, unless i then the ignore button.

There seems to be a number of issues in this one bug report and unfortunately we can only tackle one item per bug report. So should i make this one about the looped converting bug in the grammar check?
Comment 5 John Smith 2014-07-13 19:59:16 UTC
(In reply to comment #4)
> Yes i had noticed previously that if i didnt have the convert options
> checked before loading the file they will not be active. I didnt consider
> this a bug, as i assumed it couldnt reloading the grammar checking rules on
> an active file.
> 
> Regarding the "grammar checker goes into a loop converting and re-converting
> a single selected value", yes if i tell it to correct 20 °C as 68 °F, it
> will loop back asking to correct 68 °F to 20 °C, unless i then the ignore
> button.
> 
> There seems to be a number of issues in this one bug report and
> unfortunately we can only tackle one item per bug report. So should i make
> this one about the looped converting bug in the grammar check?

Yes, you may as well do that. Hopefully these other issues will be resolved too.
Thank you.
John
Comment 6 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-07-13 20:50:58 UTC
Hi John,

The bug has been changed now. If you wouldnt mind, please visit < https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED > and add a new bug for the problem with the unspaced em dash and minus sign with a simple example, so that i could confirm it.

I have confirmed that this issue is also present in 4.4 alpha.
Comment 7 John Smith 2014-07-14 21:08:09 UTC
New bug raised as requested, bug number 81362.

John
On 13/07/2014 21:50, bugzilla-daemon@freedesktop.org wrote:
> Jay Philips <mailto:philipz85@hotmail.com> changed bug 75122 
> <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75122>
> What 	Removed 	Added
> Hardware 	Other 	All
> OS 	Windows (All) 	All
> Status 	NEEDINFO 	NEW
> Severity 	normal 	trivial
> Priority 	medium 	lowest
> Summary 	EDITING: English sentence checking not working correctly 
> SPELLCHECK: grammar check loops indefinitely when both 'convert to 
> metric' and 'convert to non-metric' are enabled
>
> *Comment # 6 <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75122#c6> 
> on bug 75122 <https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=75122> from 
> Jay Philips <mailto:philipz85@hotmail.com> *
> Hi John,
>
> The bug has been changed now. If you wouldnt mind, please visit <
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=LibreOffice&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED
> > and add a new bug for the problem with the unspaced em dash and minus sign
> with a simple example, so that i could confirm it.
>
> I have confirmed that this issue is also present in 4.4 alpha.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> You are receiving this mail because:
>
>   * You reported the bug.
>
Comment 8 QA Administrators 2015-07-18 17:44:44 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 9 QA Administrators 2017-01-03 19:37:06 UTC
** Please read this message in its entirety before responding **

To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today, LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open, confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.

There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still present.

If you have time, please do the following:

Test to see if the bug is still present on a currently supported version of LibreOffice 
(5.1.6 or 5.2.3  https://www.libreoffice.org/download/

If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the version of LibreOffice and 
your operating system, and any changes you see in the bug behavior
 
If the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave 
a short comment that includes your version of LibreOffice and Operating System

Please DO NOT

Update the version field
Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not 
appropriate in this case)


If you want to do more to help you can test to see if your issue is a REGRESSION. To do so:
1. Download and install oldest version of LibreOffice (usually 3.3 unless your bug pertains to a feature added after 3.3)

http://downloadarchive.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/old/

2. Test your bug
3. Leave a comment with your results.
4a. If the bug was present with 3.3 - set version to "inherited from OOo";
4b. If the bug was not present in 3.3 - add "regression" to keyword


Feel free to come ask questions or to say hello in our QA chat: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=libreoffice-qa

Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!

Warm Regards,
QA Team

MassPing-UntouchedBug-20170103