If you have made changes to your document and you change over from edit mode to read-only mode, you will be asked to save your document. One point is, that the text in the dialogue is not correct, I reported this in already in bug 77157. Another point is, that I think that a save dialogue should only be displayed when the user wants to close the document.
Usually users do not expect this question at this point and also do not really know why. Furthermore I'm not sure if all users are fully aware that all their changes since the last save are lost, if they click “Close without saving” or according my proposal in bug 77157 “Change over without saving”. Especially a user who only likes to change over temporarily to the read-only mode, may not understand this. As a user I would expect, that only document changes are blocked. Hence I would suggest to display the question only when the user likes to close(!) the document independently if it is in edit or read-only mode.
Hi Harald -
So we discussed this a bit in QA and are marking as WONTFIX - let me explain the decision and then if you disagree, please feel free to email the QA mailing list and ask for additional opinions. Please do not change the status of this bug without first emailing the QA mailing list - thanks!
(1) If a user is taking the step to change from edit mode to read-only mode, they have taken a proactive step towards changing how they interact with the document. By doing this they should not be surprised when a save dialog appears;
(2) If a user has different expectations, these will be clearly changed to understand how it works after just doing it one or two times
(3) has very little impact on anyone's workflow;
(4) In the very worst case scenario someone could make some edits, switch to read only mode, spend some time (let's say multiple sessions without closing LibreOffice) reading the document, then upon closing it brings up the diaglog. Now it's been some hours or days since you last actually made changes. Then user thinks "well...no" and loses changes or "well....sure" and accepts changes without knowing what they accepted.
(5) Auto-save is disabled in read-only mode I believe (I could be wrong here) which poses additional problems
Again - if you disagree please email the QA list and see what others think. Thanks!