The bug is somehow related to bug#72337.
I'm on Ubuntu 12.04.5 with all updates and LibreOffice Version: 184.108.40.206
Build ID: 40m0(Build:2) (libreoffice 1:4.4.1~rc2-0ubuntu1~precise1) from PPA.
Steps to reproduce:
1. I have shared my Public folder using nautilus-share (0.7.3-1ubuntu2), placed test.odt file in it.
2. I navigate Nautilus to smb://localhost, clicked Open in Terminal here (or launch terminal and "cd ~/.gvfs/public\ on\ localhost").
3. Run "libreoffice test.odt" in terminal.
4. Got "Document in Use" window with text:
Document file 'test.odt' is locked for editing by:
Open document read-only or open a copy of the document for editing.
Open Read-Only Open Copy Cancel
5a. If I click 'Open Read-Only' the document is opened in read-only.
5b. If I click 'Open Copy' the "Untitled 1" document is opened.
5c. Cancel closes this window.
The "test.odt" files is opened in read-write mode, user can edit it.
User can't edit original document (see pp. 4-5 above).
This functionality is essential. Please fix this bug.
Bug exists in LibreOffice "Version: 220.127.116.11 Build ID: 430m0(Build:2)" (1:4.3.6~rc2-0ubuntu1~precise1).
Can this problem be reproduced on a newer Ubuntu version than 12.04 (e.g. on 14.04 or 15.10)? If not, this likely is yet another case of: https://launchpad.net/bugs/1103953
I did some research with different versions of LibO and on different distros.
The test method was as follows: I set Samba public share on my other laptop, created document in this share, then connect to it.
Here is a Google Docs Table ( http://goo.gl/jY9Ubj ):
* I got message about repairing only in 12.04.5 with LibO 4.x
* In other distros I got 'Document in Use' very often.
After this research I can't determine why 'Document in Use' message is produced.
I did deeper research ( see comment 23 at https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=72337#c23 ).
So for me it seems that there is a difference in communication between
Samba SMB/CIFS (or Windows SMB/CIFS) server and LibreOffice.
I do not know how to debug this. Both SMB/CIFS servers provide full read and
write access on file level (via GVFS and mount.cifs).
Samba SMB/CIFS share was created with nautilus-share addon, without any error
messages and non-standard configuration.
My results are summarized in Google Docs table ( http://goo.gl/jY9Ubj ).
I need confirmation from other users.
This bug exists in modern versions of Ubuntu too.
I set SMB/CIFS *server* in Ubuntu 14.04.2 and connected to it from other
*client* distros - I got "Document in Use" very often (see my table - http://goo.gl/jY9Ubj , sheet "Ubuntu 14.04 Samba Server").
Please fix this bug.
I'm ready to help, provide more information, to test dev-builds and so on.
Hello Norbert, bug 72337 is fixed. Do you have still the problem in actual version of LO?
Set to NEEDINFO.
Change back to UNCONFIRMED, if the problem persists. Change to RESOLVED WORKSFORME, if the problem went away.
(Or should it be duplicate of 72337 if it works..?)
Dear Bug Submitter,
This bug has been in NEEDINFO status with no change for at least
6 months. Please provide the requested information as soon as
possible and mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED. Due to regular bug
tracker maintenance, if the bug is still in NEEDINFO status with
no change in 30 days the QA team will close the bug as INSUFFICIENTDATA
due to lack of needed information.
For more information about our NEEDINFO policy please read the
wiki located here:
If you have already provided the requested information, please
mark the bug as UNCONFIRMED so that the QA team knows that the
bug is ready to be confirmed.
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!
Dear Bug Submitter,
Please read this message in its entirety before proceeding.
Your bug report is being closed as INSUFFICIENTDATA due to inactivity and
a lack of information which is needed in order to accurately
reproduce and confirm the problem. We encourage you to retest
your bug against the latest release. If the issue is still
present in the latest stable release, we need the following
information (please ignore any that you've already provided):
a) Provide details of your system including your operating
system and the latest version of LibreOffice that you have
confirmed the bug to be present
b) Provide easy to reproduce steps – the simpler the better
c) Provide any test case(s) which will help us confirm the problem
d) Provide screenshots of the problem if you think it might help
e) Read all comments and provide any requested information
Once all of this is done, please set the bug back to UNCONFIRMED
and we will attempt to reproduce the issue. Please do not:
a) respond via email
b) update the version field in the bug or any of the other details
on the top section of our bug tracker