Presently, LibO bundles Adobe's Source Sans Pro font, but Adobe has also released a monospace variant (Source Code Pro) in 2012 and a serif variant (Source Serif Pro) in 2014. So are we intending to also bundle those as well?
We already bundle "Source Code Pro" and we don't bundle "Source Serif Pro" because it doesn't yet support italics.
I myself would rather go with Noto family or Droid family and remove "Open Sans" (it is just a variation of "Droid Sans" - same as "Noto Sans" but without an "Open Serif" pair).
(In reply to Tomaz Vajngerl from comment #1)
> I myself would rather go with Noto family or Droid family and remove "Open
> Sans" (it is just a variation of "Droid Sans" - same as "Noto Sans" but
> without an "Open Serif" pair).
It is true that Noto and Open Sans are barely the same, though the second, if I remember correctly, has a bigger glif base. However, Droid Sans is different, even though the look similar. Simply print some long text with both and compare.
Jay, this was already discussed with UX, and was decided to go with WONTFIX (use search, please!). Besides, there is the concern of unnecessarily increasing installation footprint without adding much value. Bundling Noto (and removing Open Sans), for example, would be a better move, as it would allow us to support many more languages.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 79022 ***