Bug Hunting Session
Bug 92027 - UI: Add right click option to add Hyperlink for the selected text
Summary: UI: Add right click option to add Hyperlink for the selected text
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: LibreOffice (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: Other All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: needsUXEval
: 49643 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2015-06-12 08:55 UTC by muthu
Modified: 2017-01-17 08:02 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
right click for hyper link (15.35 KB, image/jpeg)
2015-06-12 08:55 UTC, muthu
Details
Dialog started from blank document via context menu "Hyperlink..." (40.86 KB, image/png)
2015-06-15 09:59 UTC, Heiko Tietze
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description muthu 2015-06-12 08:55:41 UTC
Created attachment 116481 [details]
right click for hyper link

Steps To Reproduce: 
1. Open LibreOffice Writer 4.4.3.2
2. Type a word
3. Select the word using mouse
4. Right Click and search for 'Hyperlink' option to add link to the selected word. 
Expected: Should have Hyperlink option in the popup menu displayed. 
Actual: No option is shown. In MS Word, we have this option.  

Env. Windows 8.1, LibreOffice 4.4.3.2
Comment 1 Buovjaga 2015-06-13 14:23:01 UTC
This is up to the design team to decide.
Comment 2 Heiko Tietze 2015-06-13 17:20:47 UTC
I would agree if this menu were really context sensitive. But the current implementation looks like if Hyperlink is available then for empty space as well. 

Plus, do we really want to provide access to functions from this menu? Other might want to add tables, special characters, or formulas. Those features are easily accessible from the toolbar - and can be tweaked afterwards via context menu.

Putting all together I disagree with the idea to have a content menu entry "Add hyperlink".
Comment 3 muthu 2015-06-15 09:31:48 UTC
In the latest Microsoft Word, we have such option (right click for Hyperlink).  This triggers me to check in libreoffice as well.
Comment 4 Heiko Tietze 2015-06-15 09:59:41 UTC
Created attachment 116550 [details]
Dialog started from blank document via context menu "Hyperlink..."

Microsoft shows a special dialog with access to local files and folder (adds a link to this object to the document) as well as websites, email address, and sections within the current or a to-be-created document.
This function is available as well at the ribbon tab Insert.
Comment 5 ELSUPREMO1 2015-07-19 18:39:51 UTC
Hi,

Yes, LO should provide "add hyperlink" functionality to the context menu.

Because hyperlinks are high such usage items within every document/spreadsheet program. Hyperlinks are used more often in documents than the others mentioned below (i.e.tables, special characters, or formulas).  Tables, special characters, or formulas should not be listed in the cntext menu in my opinion.

However, I'm 100% supprtive for adding "hyperlinks" to the context menu.
Comment 6 Heiko Tietze 2015-07-20 07:30:15 UTC
(In reply to ELSUPREMO1 from comment #5)
> Hyperlinks are used more often in documents
> than the others mentioned below (i.e.tables, special characters, or
> formulas).

Do you have data to support this statement, or is it your opinion resp. personal workflow? In this case I'd be interested in the use-case because it's hard to figure what hyperlinks are good for beyond HTML export. And there are much better tools to create websites.

BTW: When I look through references about Microsoft Office and hyperlink it turns out that it is used fot writing emails. AFAIR outlook has an option to edit with Word.
Comment 7 ELSUPREMO1 2015-07-20 23:44:15 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #6)
> (In reply to ELSUPREMO1 from comment #5)
> > Hyperlinks are used more often in documents
> > than the others mentioned below (i.e.tables, special characters, or
> > formulas).
> 
> Do you have data to support this statement, or is it your opinion resp.
> personal workflow? In this case I'd be interested in the use-case because
> it's hard to figure what hyperlinks are good for beyond HTML export. And
> there are much better tools to create websites.
> 
> BTW: When I look through references about Microsoft Office and hyperlink it
> turns out that it is used fot writing emails. AFAIR outlook has an option to
> edit with Word.

Yes, It is opinion and from my personal experience from writing hundreds of pages in articles used for scholarly and industry papers, journals, magazine, and books. 

I'll ask you this question, "can you tell me that you have never used a hyperlink before?" If you have ever typed a paper using a word processing program, then it's safe for me to assume you have encountered and typed hyperlinks within word documents before, right? Are there any other users who have not ever used hyperlink before? I'd venture to sayits highly doubtful.

Yes again, it is and hyperlinks provide effective credibility for personal workflow. It's so much easier for the reader to verify your reference material, find related content, or answer a call to action when you've given them something to click on.  The use of hyperlinks improve work processes, work productivity, and providing evidence to support your works. This is exactly why American Psychological Association (APA) created a general format for writing hyperlinks n the first place. Why? Because they're highly used within many word processing documents and written works.
The take-away is everday users like to "do" things when they get to a site. Heiko, give the users a hyperlink to click on and LO will reap the benefits at the same time. The botttom line is we, the users, are asking to add one little thing "add hyperlink" to the context menu. We are not asking to add the entire toolbar.

That's why I 100% support the idea to "add hyperlink" to the conext menu.
Comment 8 Heiko Tietze 2015-07-21 07:44:20 UTC
I'm stuck at APA4 (studied psychology and wrote thesis and papers). Looking through the web I cannot prove your hyperlink at reference statement (cf. http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2011/12/should-hyperlinks-be-used-in-apa-style.html). But anyway, you convinced me to about 50% that interactive hyperlinks in documents make sense to provide easy means for interconnection. 

I still wouldn't put the 'add hyperlink' item into the default context menu. Rather the text 'http://libreoffice.org/' is acknowledged automatically - and now you get context sensitive functions like 'remove hyperlink' and 'edit hyperlink' below the (still concise) default items in the menu. Does this work for you?
Comment 9 V Stuart Foote 2015-07-21 14:05:54 UTC
The Hyperlink dialog is implemented across the modules and called with the Ctrl+K shortcut. And when text is selected, it is used as the Text field for the hyperlink object (of any flavor).

Unfortunately, the context menu for each module presents a Hyperlink object a bit differently.  Writer has Open, Edit, Copy and Remove actions; Calc and Impress have Open; while Draw shows nothing. And in each module Ctrl-click opens the hypelinked object.

Draw alone does not provide an Edit -> Hyperlink menu entry. So not sure how one modifies a Hyperlink inserted into an .ODG document.

IMHO, an argument can be made to adjust the context menu for Hyperlink objects across all modules, to include Open, Edit, Copy and Remove.

And only then, supplementing the Ctrl-K dialog launch to add a context menu Hyperlink action--activating or appearing when one or more words are selected--becomes reasonable UI.

But must be consistent across all modules, otherwise removing Hyperlinks from context menu and using Ctrl-K shortcut, and Edit or Insert menu entries alone would be the more consistent UI.
Comment 10 Timur 2016-08-15 10:24:21 UTC
1. There were some changes in right-click menu and it's even smaller now. I can't find the discussion, please put a link.
2. This one seems like a duplicate of https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49643
Comment 11 Heiko Tietze 2016-08-21 12:42:52 UTC
*** Bug 49643 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 12 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2016-08-25 05:39:10 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 13 Heiko Tietze 2017-01-17 08:02:46 UTC
While I fully agree with Stuart's argument in comment 9 to harmonize the behavior over modules. But this ticket WORKFSFORME as Writer has a context menu to modify (hyper-)links. If needed we should create specific tickets.