The Help instructions for changing the default template are not clear.
The instructions are at https://help.libreoffice.org/Common/Changing_Default_Templates
The current version of the instructions is:
1. Save the document by choosing File - Templates - Save As Template and saving the document in the My Templates category.
2. Choose File - New - Templates.
3. Double-click My Templates' in the list. You will see the user-defined templates in the user directory specified under Tools - Options' - LibreOffice - Paths. Select the template you have just saved.
4. Choose Set as default. The next time you open a new text document, the new document will be based on the new default template.
A clearer version would be:
1. Open the document that you wish to save as the default template.
2. From the menu choose File - Templates - Save As Template.
3. Click on "My Templates".
4. DO NOT click on any of the existing templates that are shown.If you have clicked on a template, the "Properties" and "Set as Default" icons will appear next to the "save" icon. Click on a blank part of the templates dialog box so that the "Properties" and "Set as Default icons disappear.
5. Click on the "Save" icon to open a template name dialog box.
5. Enter the template name in the dialog box. If you wish to over-write an existing template, enter the name of the template that you wish to over-write
Let's set to NEW.
Leon: I encourage you to join the docs team: http://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/join-community/
*** Bug 128215 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***