Bug Hunting Session
Bug 116370 - Printing doesn't start in particular documents until you show first pages
Summary: Printing doesn't start in particular documents until you show first pages
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: framework (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
6.0.2.1 release
Hardware: All Windows (All)
: highest critical
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard: target:6.2.0 target:6.1.1 target:6.0.7
Keywords: bibisected, bisected, regression
Depends on:
Blocks: VCL-Scheduler Print
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2018-03-12 19:01 UTC by Alexander Polkhovskiy
Modified: 2018-10-03 13:49 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Printing doesn_t start on page 3+ test (17.14 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)
2018-03-12 19:02 UTC, Alexander Polkhovskiy
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Alexander Polkhovskiy 2018-03-12 19:01:53 UTC
Description:
On some documents with a set of particular elements on the 1st page (for example) printing won't start (or won't finish if started) if you start printing when 3th or later page is in view (in this example).

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open the attached file.
2. Scroll to the last page.
3. Press File-Print, choose any printer (physical or virtual).
4. You won't see printing message with pages count.
5. Scroll up until you see the 2nd page.
6. If you manage to scroll back to the end before the printing is finished, the process may stuck until you scroll up to see the 2nd page.
7. Change something in the 1st line of the first page - everything will work just fine (for more info open the attachment and read 1st page).

Another case:
1-2 steps are same.
3. Open or create any other document.
4. Try to prin it.
5. You'l face same problems.
6. You will have to scroll the example document to start printing the other document.

Actual Results:  
Printing process depends on the scroll position and the contents of the open file.

Expected Results:
Printing should work with any document open on any page with any content.


Reproducible: Always


User Profile Reset: No



Additional Info:
V 6.0.2.1
ID: f7f06a8f319e4b62f9bc5095aa112a65d2f3ac89
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.3; Rendering: default; 
Locale: ru-RU (ru_RU); Calc: group


User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:58.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/58.0
Comment 1 Alexander Polkhovskiy 2018-03-12 19:02:47 UTC
Created attachment 140587 [details]
Printing doesn_t start on page 3+ test

Example file to test the case.
Comment 2 Roman Kuznetsov 2018-03-12 19:09:03 UTC
Confirmed for LO 6.0.2.1 (64 bit) on Windows 7 x86-64

On Ubuntu 16.10 not repro
Comment 3 Roman Kuznetsov 2018-03-12 19:15:15 UTC
in LO 5.2.7 do not repro -> regression
Comment 4 Alexander Polkhovskiy 2018-03-12 19:52:57 UTC
Not reproduced in LO 5.4 also.
Comment 5 Aron Budea 2018-03-14 23:56:20 UTC
Bibisected to the commit referenced below using repo bibisect-win32-6.0.
Adding Cc: to Jan-Marek Glogowski, please take a look sometimes.

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=3bf6c97029d26ddf20007c47ca6b68e5cc52d846
author		Jan-Marek Glogowski <glogow@fbihome.de>	2017-10-12 10:20:17 +0200
committer	Jan-Marek Glogowski <glogow@fbihome.de>	2017-10-13 16:49:02 +0200

tdf#112975 WIN correctly handle VclInputFlags::OTHER
Comment 6 Commit Notification 2018-08-20 07:36:42 UTC
Jan-Marek Glogowski committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=401cba4c20fbc930f034168872642428d7459218

tdf#116370 cleanup Writer idle job handing

It will be available in 6.2.0.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 7 BogdanB 2018-08-20 08:26:28 UTC
it is working on

Version: 6.2.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: f05b0a6aaf8af5d78f9cad8bb953228cb0ce09f1
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 4.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk2; 
TinderBox: Linux-rpm_deb-x86_64@70-TDF, Branch:master, Time: 2018-08-20_01:57:14
Locale: ro-RO (ro_RO.UTF-8); Calc: threaded
Comment 8 Roman Kuznetsov 2018-08-20 09:41:21 UTC
(In reply to Commit Notification from comment #6)
> Jan-Marek Glogowski committed a patch related to this issue.
> It has been pushed to "master":
> 
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/
> ?id=401cba4c20fbc930f034168872642428d7459218
> 
> tdf#116370 cleanup Writer idle job handing
> 
> It will be available in 6.2.0.
> 
> The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
> http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
> information about daily builds can be found at:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds
> 
> Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.

Jan-Marek, please backport it into 6.1
Comment 9 Jan-Marek Glogowski 2018-08-20 11:05:49 UTC
(In reply to BogdanB from comment #7)
> it is working on
> 
> Version: 6.2.0.0.alpha0+
> Build ID: f05b0a6aaf8af5d78f9cad8bb953228cb0ce09f1
> CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 4.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk2; 
> TinderBox: Linux-rpm_deb-x86_64@70-TDF, Branch:master, Time:
> 2018-08-20_01:57:14
> Locale: ro-RO (ro_RO.UTF-8); Calc: threaded

This is a Windows only bug. Sure it works on Linux.

I already provided a backport for 6.1 and will do one for 6.0 after that was merged, but please verify the fix on Windows first.
Comment 10 Alexander Polkhovskiy 2018-08-21 09:49:14 UTC
No longer appears.
Version: 6.2.0.0.alpha0+ (x64)
Build ID: 414ef6cb187dd3bbcc917dbedf3c0c1cc8668f60
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.3; UI render: GL; 
TinderBox: Win-x86_64@42, Branch:master, Time: 2018-08-21_00:13:04
Locale: ru-RU (ru_RU); Calc: CL

Thanks!
Comment 11 Commit Notification 2018-08-23 14:36:53 UTC
Jan-Marek Glogowski committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "libreoffice-6-1":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=b10d1366422059f4b0cf222d56938a5409b60e6a&h=libreoffice-6-1

tdf#116370 cleanup Writer idle job handing

It will be available in 6.1.1.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 12 Xisco Faulí 2018-08-25 17:16:19 UTC
Verified in

Version: 6.2.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: af579ed7d1482df5cfa7e12e8af2603917d40602
CPU threads: 16; OS: Windows 6.3; UI render: default; 
Locale: en-GB (en_GB); Calc: threaded

@Jan-Marek Glogowski, Thanks for fixing this!!
Comment 13 Telesto 2018-08-29 16:10:22 UTC
(In reply to Commit Notification from comment #11)
> Jan-Marek Glogowski committed a patch related to this issue.
> It has been pushed to "libreoffice-6-1":
> 
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/
> ?id=b10d1366422059f4b0cf222d56938a5409b60e6a&h=libreoffice-6-1
> 
> tdf#116370 cleanup Writer idle job handing
> 
> It will be available in 6.1.1.
> 
> The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
> http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
> information about daily builds can be found at:
> http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds
> 
> Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.

What will be done here. A revert because of bug 119458? Or will somebody push to tdf#119458 reorganize sw background Idle handling into 6.1.1?
Comment 14 Jan-Marek Glogowski 2018-08-29 17:14:27 UTC
(In reply to Telesto from comment #13)
> What will be done here. A revert because of bug 119458? Or will somebody
> push to tdf#119458 reorganize sw background Idle handling into 6.1.1?

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/59769/
Comment 15 Commit Notification 2018-10-03 13:49:08 UTC
Jan-Marek Glogowski committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "libreoffice-6-0":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=cc360c414d9c9e16ca039300c57fd941d68d66ad&h=libreoffice-6-0

tdf#116370 cleanup Writer idle job handing

It will be available in 6.0.7.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.