LibreOffice hangs reopening the "Select Firefox Theme" for a second time (follow up of bug 117866)
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Launch LibreOffice;
2. Start a new Writer document;
3. Open the "Select Firefox Theme":
- Open the "Tools" menu;
- Select "Options...";
- Expand the "LibreOffice" section in the tree;
- Select the "Personlisation" item in the tree;
- Click the "Select Theme" button.
4. You will see the "Select Firefox Theme" dialog, with 9 gray rectangles,
which are used to display theme previews;
5. Click one of the categories - e.g. "Abstract";
6. LibreOffice will start loading and showing theme previews in those gray
7. Click the "Cancel" button (without waiting for a theme)
8. Press the Select Theme button again -> hang
7. Click the "OK" button (without waiting for a theme) -> Hang
User Profile Reset: No
Build ID: 1b21ff86effe58ae368457de8fec654ba4c8edd9
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.3; UI render: default;
TinderBox: Win-x86@42, Branch:master, Time: 2018-07-30_03:13:35
Locale: en-US (nl_NL); Calc: CL
I can't reproduce it in
Build ID: 4804a1474ccba8df57f0a0151bd69237e82eb618
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 4.15; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: ca-ES (ca_ES.UTF-8); Calc: group threaded
Build ID: 921f285c7ff713ad219d3e3385d7e7d12d33581e
CPU threads: 16; OS: Windows 6.3; UI render: default;
Locale: en-GB (en_GB); Calc: group threaded
it hangs when the Select Theme is closed, but only for 10 seconds approximately... then, it's fine...
I can confirm that it just hangs for a few seconds on Windows 10.
Telesto, could you confirm if you are experience a permanent freezing or just for a few seconds as well? If it´s the second case, you can close the bug.
Version: 184.108.40.206 (x64)
Build ID: b3972dcf1284967612d5ee04fea9d15bcf0cc106
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0; UI render: default;
Locale: en-US (en_US); Calc: group threaded
The Mozilla theming site is very slow for me (probably location depended). So it will work eventually (but far from perfect).
However lets assume worst case. Mozilla site is down or internet access is filtered/blocked by a firewall. LibO will not respond.
Another approach would be to check if the backend work, and if not, close the dialog and show a message...
UX Team, what do you think ?
Is this a dup of bug 118881?
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #6)
> Is this a dup of bug 118881?
This not a dupe of bug 118881. Bug is more a less an example.
1. Prior to bug 118881 previews did load, but in my case very slowly
2. Instead of waiting I would close the dialog and reopen it again (maybe this the is better). However, the theming dialog won't respond (and hang), because the theming backend is still processing the first attempt in the background. This can be problematic if the Mozilla site is down, slow responding or without any existing connection because of a firewall blocking it.
Closing the theming dialog should abort the preview downloading process instead of still processing it the background
Xisco is (additionally?) suggestion a dialog for connection issues
The unresponsiveness/connection aspect is probably a more general issue, when looking at: bug 45307, bug 43338, bug 91237
(In reply to Xisco Faulí from comment #5)
> Another approach would be to check if the backend work, and if not, close
> the dialog and show a message...
> UX Team, what do you think ?
Don't think it's a solution. The user should always get a precise feedback what's going on and how long she has to wait for data. At least we have to show the names and allow to load a theme ignoring the thumbnail.
No idea how to set the status.
Personas have been reworked by Muhammet and greatly improved in https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/61449/. Thumbnails are not only retrieved fast enough but also cached. So I'm closing this ticket as fixed.