when you install libreoffice in a windows machine the installer offers you the possibility of selecting it as default program for word, excel, powerpoint and visio files. this is done through a series of checkboxes of the installation menu and works well if you are doing a new libreofice install
if you later change your mind and want an easy way to change your associations you can go to the add/remove programs menu of the control panel, select libreoffice and click on the change option to install/uninstall components or have access again to the checkboxes for changing the file associations but changing associations this way doesn't seem to have any effect. it doesn't work and no association is changed regardless of the chosen options
tested in windows xp sp3
I have the same problem with LibO-Dev_22.214.171.124_Win_x86. I tried also with modifying MSI and setting REGISTER_ALL_MSO_TYPES=1 but it didn't work.
There are few methods to provide a proper file associations for the Windows version of Libreoffice.
1. During the command-line installation, which is convenient for mass-scale deployment
2. During the GUI installation, selecting file associations works for LibreOffice, but doesn't work for LOdev - should a new bug be filed or this can be handled in the existing bugs, such as Bug 60714?
3. Modifying the GUI installation, selecting file associations works for LibreOffice 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52, but doesn't work for LOdev - related to Bug 60714 - changing file associations from the change option of add/remove programs doesn't work - so this bug should relate to LOdev only
4. Using Windows 7 Default Programs option in Control Panel is possible for LibreOffice 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 because they are registered, but it's not possible for LOdev because it's not. - related to Bug 43519 - Cannot set default file associations - I don't have Vista, but it should be same as 7. I think this bug should relate to LOdev only.
5. From within LibreOffice - not possible, and requested in Bug 44462 - Provide a proper 'File Association Manager' for the windows version of Libreoffice
LibreOffice is found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RegisteredApplications or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\RegisteredApplications while LOdev is not.
(In reply to comment #0)
> if you later change your mind and want an easy way to change your
> associations...click on the change option to
> install/uninstall components or have access again to the checkboxes for
> changing the file associations but changing associations this way doesn't
> seem to have any effect. it doesn't work and no association is changed
What you appear to be requesting is an enhancement to the LibreOffice installer package to support a change logic to make adjustments the Windows registry file associations.
Confirm your observation, but I would not expect an Add/Remove program > Modify and rerun of the installer to be a preferred method of changing file association. Nor would I call it an easier method.
Otherwise does your XP system otherwise change program association from the Open With dialog, or the Folder Options > File types correctly change the file association?
Changing this to an enhancement request. But let us know if you are otherwise functional for existing file association changes with XP.
From my point of view is not a question about if Add/Remove program > Modify can be the preferred method of changing file association. the question es that this option exists now and is malfunctioning.
of course there are another forms of changing associations but requires changing them for each type of file (csv, xls, xlsx, xlt, xltx, doc, dot, docx, dotx, etc). changing them with the installer it's faster and cleaner (you can be sure you didn't forget any)
> 3. Modifying the GUI installation, selecting file associations works for
> LibreOffice 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124, but doesn't work for LOdev - related to Bug
> 60714 - changing file associations from the change option of add/remove
> programs doesn't work - so this bug should relate to LOdev only
From my testing, changing file associations from the change option of add/remove programs DOES work on Windows 7 both for LibreOffice 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52, DOES work on Windows XP for LibreOffice 184.108.40.206 but DOESN'T work on XP for 220.127.116.11.
So, taking into account this and that LO 4 is already out, I don't find it should be fixed now for 3.6. only for XP.
I recommend it be further tested and marked as WONTFIX.
I agree, both Windows xp and LibreOffice 3.6 are almost EOL so it's not a priority to solve this if it's working with Windows 7 and/or LibreOffice 4.0.1
Just for the sake of efficiency, I close as suggested.
Should you find it inappropriate, please reopen.