Bug 84416 - 3-D slide transitions not working on Windows
Summary: 3-D slide transitions not working on Windows
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Impress (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
4.4.0.0.alpha0+ Master
Hardware: Other Windows (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: perf
Depends on:
Blocks: OpenGL Slide-Transitions
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-09-28 09:47 UTC by Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Modified: 2017-05-04 18:11 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-09-28 09:47:03 UTC
Was browsing through the list of transitions on Windows and Linux and noticed that these ones didnt work.

= Windows =
shape diamond
fade through black
cut through black
fade smoothly
flipping tiles
outside turning cube
revolving circle
turning helix
inside turning cube
fall
turn around
iris
turn down
rochade
venetian blinds 3d vertical
venetian blinds 3d horizontal
static
fine dissolve
newsflash

= Linux =
cut through black
static
fine dissolve

These were tested on master and i tested 'cut through blank' in 3.3.0 and it had the same result. When i state that it didnt work, this means that the screen is blank and then the slide appears after what should have been the transition.

Version: 4.4.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: df73f4115cfe4d07e4159adf087571687eb173ec
TinderBox: Linux-rpm_deb-x86@45-TDF, Branch:master, Time: 2014-09-25_23:36:54

I'm assuming this maybe due to my graphics card, so i'm including its OpenGL details here.

= Window =
Renderer: Intel 945GM
Vendor: Intel
Memory: 256 MB
Version: 1.4.0 - Build 8.14.10.1930
Shading language version: N/A

= Linux =
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) G33 x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 9.2.0
Comment 1 David Tardon 2014-09-29 08:25:59 UTC
(In reply to comment #0)
> Was browsing through the list of transitions on Windows and Linux and
> noticed that these ones didnt work.
> 
> = Windows =
> shape diamond
> fade through black
> ...

The enablement for 3-D transitions on Windows is is rather new. Judging from Marcus's comments, it is not expected to work very well yet.

> = Linux =
> cut through black
> static
> fine dissolve
> 
> These were tested on master and i tested 'cut through blank' in 3.3.0 and it
> had the same result. When i state that it didnt work, this means that the
> screen is blank and then the slide appears after what should have been the
> transition.

This is a misunderstanding. The cut through black transition shows the old slide for 1/3 of the time, then black for another 1/3 and the new slide for the rest. That means it is useless to test it on a single slide.

> OpenGL version string: 1.4 Mesa 9.2.0

The static and fine dissolve transitions use shaders, which means they require OpenGL 2.0.
Comment 2 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-09-29 09:30:10 UTC
Thanks for the reply David.

(In reply to comment #1)
> This is a misunderstanding. The cut through black transition shows the old
> slide for 1/3 of the time, then black for another 1/3 and the new slide for
> the rest. That means it is useless to test it on a single slide.

With cut through black, i dont see any animation. All i see is a black screen and then i see the slide. If this also requires OpenGL 2.0, then i can understand why it doesnt do anything.
Comment 3 David Tardon 2014-09-29 10:28:46 UTC
(In reply to comment #2)
> Thanks for the reply David.
> 
> (In reply to comment #1)
> > This is a misunderstanding. The cut through black transition shows the old
> > slide for 1/3 of the time, then black for another 1/3 and the new slide for
> > the rest. That means it is useless to test it on a single slide.
> 
> With cut through black, i dont see any animation. All i see is a black
> screen and then i see the slide.

Of course you do not, because there is no animation. The transition continues to show the old slide for 1/3 of the transition's run time, thenreplaces it by black screen for another 1/3 and then switches to the new slide. That means that if one checks it in preview, one will see black (because there is no previous slide), followed by black, followed by a slide. To see how this transition works, one has to put it between two slides and actually run the presentation.

> If this also requires OpenGL 2.0, then i
> can understand why it doesnt do anything.

No, this does not use OpenGL at all.
Comment 4 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2014-12-29 22:05:20 UTC
TESTING on Ubuntu 14.04 + LO 4.5.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: 783ba49aa0cd068c7e3dacdd3c13e9c37cf52e22
TinderBox: Linux-rpm_deb-x86_64@46-TDF, 
Branch:master, 
Time: 2014-12-18_11:21:12
Locale: en_US

(In reply to Jay Philips from comment #0)
> Was browsing through the list of transitions on Windows and Linux and
> noticed that these ones didnt work.

Should this be a tracking bug for transitions?

> = Linux =
> cut through black
> static
> fine dissolve

Static and fine dissolve partially worked for me, although most of the transitions are. very. choppy. and. slow.  (and sometimes freeze Impress for 10+ seconds).

Whiteboard -> perf
Status -> NEW
Comment 5 Roman Kuznetsov 2015-10-02 19:06:36 UTC
this bug was fixed in LO 5.0
Comment 6 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-10-03 20:40:18 UTC
(In reply to kompilainenn from comment #5)
> this bug was fixed in LO 5.0

Are you confirming that it was fixed by testing or just assuming that it was fixed?
Comment 7 Roman Kuznetsov 2015-10-03 21:38:47 UTC
i tested presentation with 3-D transition in LO 4.4 and 5.0. Both is OK.
Comment 8 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-10-04 10:29:43 UTC
Just tested master on Windows 7 and these previously mentioned transitions that didnt work are working.

shape diamond
fade through black
fade smoothly

But these ones still dont work.

flipping tiles
outside turning cube
revolving circle
turning helix
inside turning cube
fall
turn around
iris
turn down
rochade
venetian blinds 3d vertical
venetian blinds 3d horizontal
newsflash

Excluding static and fine dissolve as my graphics card cant do these. I asked marcus about it and he said "apparently there are still some issues".

Version: 5.1.0.0.alpha1+
Build ID: 25de5cfa43b2b1cb7d7214470acc7719839e13fe
TinderBox: Win-x86@62-merge-TDF, Branch:MASTER, Time: 2015-10-01_08:49:54
Locale: en-US (en_US)
Comment 9 V Stuart Foote 2015-11-17 18:32:20 UTC
All the transitions seem to be working well now on Windows with current master. Both with and without OpenGL support enabled.

Good on Windows 7 sp1 32-bit (en-US)
Adapter Type	VMware Virtual SVGA 3D Graphics Adapter, VMware, Inc. compatible
Adapter Description	VMware SVGA 3D
Adapter RAM	1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
Installed Drivers	vm3dum.dll,vm3dum_10.dll
Driver Version	8.15.1.32

Version: 5.1.0.0.alpha1+
Build ID: 32d4c03cba399ada807b8ec113a3928aa9e3ff7b-GL
TinderBox: Win-x86@62-merge-TDF, Branch:MASTER, Time: 2015-11-16_23:27:02
Locale: en-US (en_US)

and also

good on Windows 8.1 Ent 64-bit (en-US)
Adapter Description	NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Adapter RAM	(2,147,483,648) bytes
Installed Drivers	nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver Version	9.18.13.3182

Version: 5.1.0.0.alpha1+ (x64)
Build ID: 32d4c03cba399ada807b8ec113a3928aa9e3ff7b-GL
TinderBox: Win-x86_64@62-TDF, Branch:MASTER, Time: 2015-11-16_23:41:46
Locale: en-US (en_US)
Comment 10 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-11-18 15:40:43 UTC
(In reply to V Stuart Foote from comment #9)
> All the transitions seem to be working well now on Windows with current
> master. Both with and without OpenGL support enabled.

OpenGL transitions only run with OpenGL and the OpenGL option in the Tools dialog is for having the UI rendered with OpenGL.

> Good on Windows 7 sp1 32-bit (en-US)
> Adapter Type	VMware Virtual SVGA 3D Graphics Adapter, VMware, Inc. compatible
> Adapter Description	VMware SVGA 3D
> Adapter RAM	1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
> Installed Drivers	vm3dum.dll,vm3dum_10.dll
> Driver Version	8.15.1.32
>
[...]
>
> good on Windows 8.1 Ent 64-bit (en-US)
> Adapter Description	NVIDIA Quadro K2000
> Adapter RAM	(2,147,483,648) bytes
> Installed Drivers
> nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
> Driver Version	9.18.13.3182

What version of OpenGL did these run on?

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/OpenGL

@David: Is there anyway to suppress a graphics card on windows or linux to use a particular version of opengl, so that the opengl support can be tested?
Comment 11 V Stuart Foote 2015-11-21 03:37:45 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf (Jay) Philips from comment #10)
> 
> What version of OpenGL did these run on?

When enabled the nVidia GTX-750ti on Windows 10/64bit is OpenGL 4.4 compliant, as is the nVidia K2000 on Windows 8.1/64bit.



(In reply to Yousuf (Jay) Philips from comment #10)
> (In reply to V Stuart Foote from comment #9)
> > All the transitions seem to be working well now on Windows with current
> > master. Both with and without OpenGL support enabled.
> 
> OpenGL transitions only run with OpenGL and the OpenGL option in the Tools
> dialog is for having the UI rendered with OpenGL.

Sorry, that is not true. Just verified --again-- that they run equally well with OpenGL enabled or disabled in LibreOffice, at least with two newer nVidia GPU cards.

That this happens had confused me, but now certain it is the case since Michael M. added the -GL flag to the info list.  We never got a good explaination regards https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=92184#c17 , also see bug 94031.

So, for some GPU/driver mixes *all transitions* work with just hardware acceleration.

This info from a run without OpenGL just now--note no -GL flag--
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit w/nVidia GTX-750ti
Driver Version	10.18.13.5850

Version: 5.1.0.0.alpha1+ (x64)
Build ID: 01de2fc790b50c04f13907026f1a7782009fea61
TinderBox: Win-x86_64@42, Branch:master, Time: 2015-11-21_01:52:58
Locale: en-US (en_US)

So, the 3D transitions do work on Windows, and with correction of bug 92184 "3D slide transitions work but during the transition images are bluish" the slide transitions are getting better on Windows.
Comment 12 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2015-11-26 16:19:32 UTC
So what was the OpenGL compatibility on the Windows 7 inside VMWare?

I was told that the OpenGL checkbox in the Tools dialog is about rendering the UI in OpenGL and has nothing to do with the OpenGL transitions. There isnt a UI rendering of LO in OpenGL and the OpenGL transitions still work there.

I tested today's master on an Intel G41 Express with full OpenGL 2.1 capabilities and many of the slide transitions didnt work. The graphics card also has 73% capabilities of 3.0 and 25% capabilities of 3.1.

Renderer: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset
Vendor: Intel
Memory: 270 MB
Version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2869
Shading language version: 1.20  - Intel Build 8.15.10.2869
Comment 13 V Stuart Foote 2015-11-27 04:10:21 UTC
@Jay, *

(In reply to Yousuf (Jay) Philips from comment #12)
> So what was the OpenGL compatibility on the Windows 7 inside VMWare?
> 
> I was told that the OpenGL checkbox in the Tools dialog is about rendering
> the UI in OpenGL and has nothing to do with the OpenGL transitions. There
> isnt a UI rendering of LO in OpenGL and the OpenGL transitions still work
> there.
> 

Sorry that took a bit to scrounge a valid Windows 7 license to spin up a VM on the home box.

On Windows 7sp1 32-bit (en-US) on VMWare Workstation 12.0.1 sitting on Windows 10 Pro with nVidia GTX-750ti

Version: 5.2.0.0.alpha0+
Build ID: 6b203d5050b5ca2aa556246e104eae0e7209e67f
Threads 1; Ver: Windows 6.1; Render: default; 

TinderBox: Win-x86@39, Branch:master, Time: 2015-11-26_14:26:19
Locale: en-US (en_US)

realTech VR OpenGL extension viewer testing here 100% at the OpenGL 3.3 level.

All the slide transitions work without OpenGL enabled, with OpenGL they all work maybe a little faster. Some of the effects seem worse visually  with OpenGL because they are too fast. Random Bar and Wheel (any number of spokes).

So, again they all work.

So, don't know what to tell you, its one for Michael M. or David T. to clarify what is happening here.

Stuart
Comment 14 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2015-12-09 18:08:02 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 15 Michael Meeks 2016-01-09 18:47:03 UTC
It is quite correct that if you don't have working OGL; then your 3D transitions will not work - not too much we can do about that really. This is however a separate matter to black-listing GL implementations for VCL etc.
Comment 16 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2016-01-20 20:33:18 UTC
(In reply to Michael Meeks from comment #15)
> It is quite correct that if you don't have working OGL; then your 3D
> transitions will not work - not too much we can do about that really. This
> is however a separate matter to black-listing GL implementations for VCL etc.

Spoke to Tomaz on IRC and he said "yeah.. some of them need 3.2", which means that us stating the following in the 5.1 release notes is not correct. - https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.1#OpenGL_Transitions

"All OpenGL transitions have been ported to OpenGL 2.1+, which removes support for very old GPUs but allows a better usage of modern ones. Four new transitions have been added and exploit these new available features. (Emmanuel Gil Peyrot, Collabora; Tomaž Vajngerl, Collabora)"

We should identify which of the transitions require 3.2+ and also mention that in the release notes.
Comment 17 Roman Kuznetsov 2016-01-21 06:33:26 UTC
> We should identify which of the transitions require 3.2+ and also mention
> that in the release notes.

easier to write that all transitions requires version 3.2+
Comment 18 Michael Meeks 2016-03-04 10:41:54 UTC
I updated the 5.1 wiki page to highlight the requirement of OGL 3.2 for the latest transitions.

I -guess- we should file a new bug (this one is by far too long now) - to provide the user some feedback on which transitions are not available / working perfectly because of GL version.