Bug Hunting Session
Bug 111800 - Problems with clipboard and selection shortcuts in Hebrew
Summary: Problems with clipboard and selection shortcuts in Hebrew
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 96022
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.3.1.2 release
Hardware: All Linux (All)
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords: bibisectRequest, regression
Depends on:
Blocks: Shortcuts-Accelerators RTL-Hebrew
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-08-14 12:15 UTC by eyallior
Modified: 2017-10-14 20:24 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description eyallior 2017-08-14 12:15:57 UTC
Description:
There are two issues I'm having while typing in Hebrew:
1) No shortcut (CTRL+C/CTRL+V/CTRL+U) seem to work
2) Trying to select whole word (CTRL+SHIFT+Arrow) causes text direction change

Absolutely can't work with Libre Office in Hebrew.

Can't believe this huge bug!

Steps to Reproduce:
1. write in Hebrew
2. Try any shortcut (CTRL+C/CTRL+V/CTRL+U)
3. Try selecting whole words (CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW)

Actual Results:  
Short cut not working, text unexpectedly changes direction

Expected Results:
shortcut suppose to work, be able to select whole words while in Hebrew


Reproducible: Always

User Profile Reset: No

Additional Info:


User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:54.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/54.0
Comment 1 Julien Nabet 2017-08-15 11:36:55 UTC
2 things you can try:
1) You can upgrade to a newer version with LO ppa
2) You could rename your LO directory profile (see https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile#GNU.2FLinux) and test again
Comment 2 eyallior 2017-08-18 13:14:02 UTC
(In reply to Julien Nabet from comment #1)
> 2 things you can try:
> 1) You can upgrade to a newer version with LO ppa
> 2) You could rename your LO directory profile (see
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile#GNU.2FLinux) and test again

1) I rather let Ubuntu manage the versions and so keep me up to date. I'm using:
Version: 5.3.1.2
Build ID: 1:5.3.1-0ubuntu2

2) I did this and the ctrl+shift_arrow (selecting whole words) works now. Copy paste (ctrl+c/v) still doesn't.
Comment 3 Julien Nabet 2017-08-18 13:36:55 UTC
(In reply to eyallior from comment #2)
> ...
> 1) I rather let Ubuntu manage the versions and so keep me up to date. I'm
>...
Last stable LO version is 5.3.5. I don't know which Ubuntu version you use but this bug may be already be fixed on LO side.
So at least, give a try with LO from ppa then revert to previous version if you just want to let Ubuntu manage version.
Comment 4 Julien Nabet 2017-08-18 13:38:05 UTC
Lior: since it concerns Hebrew, thought you might be interested in this one.
Comment 5 eyallior 2017-08-18 14:29:48 UTC
(In reply to Julien Nabet from comment #3)
> (In reply to eyallior from comment #2)
> > ...
> > 1) I rather let Ubuntu manage the versions and so keep me up to date. I'm
> >...
> Last stable LO version is 5.3.5. I don't know which Ubuntu version you use
> but this bug may be already be fixed on LO side.
> So at least, give a try with LO from ppa then revert to previous version if
> you just want to let Ubuntu manage version.

Version: 5.4.0.3 and still can't copy paste with hotkey (ctrl+c/v) in Hebrew
Comment 6 Julien Nabet 2017-08-18 14:36:54 UTC
Thank you for your feedback Eyallior.
Since I don't have more questions, i put the status back to UNCONFIRMED.
Comment 7 Lior Kaplan 2017-08-18 15:59:36 UTC
Thanks Eyal for the report.

I couldn't reproduce both problems on Debian testing.
Version: 5.4.0.3
Build ID: 1:5.4.0-1

From my memory, the copy/paste issue is mostly dependent on your x-window and graphical environment. What environment are you using? (please also mention Ubuntu version).

For me, it works fine on Debian testing with Mate (GNOME 2 fork).
Comment 8 eyallior 2017-08-18 17:07:47 UTC
(In reply to Lior Kaplan from comment #7)
> Thanks Eyal for the report.
> 
> I couldn't reproduce both problems on Debian testing.
> Version: 5.4.0.3
> Build ID: 1:5.4.0-1
> 
> From my memory, the copy/paste issue is mostly dependent on your x-window
> and graphical environment. What environment are you using? (please also
> mention Ubuntu version).
> 
> For me, it works fine on Debian testing with Mate (GNOME 2 fork).

Ubuntu 17.04
Unity
Comment 9 Yehuda Deutsch 2017-08-19 12:10:47 UTC
(In reply to eyallior from comment #8)
> (In reply to Lior Kaplan from comment #7)
> > Thanks Eyal for the report.
> > 
> > I couldn't reproduce both problems on Debian testing.
> > Version: 5.4.0.3
> > Build ID: 1:5.4.0-1
> > 
> > From my memory, the copy/paste issue is mostly dependent on your x-window
> > and graphical environment. What environment are you using? (please also
> > mention Ubuntu version).
> > 
> > For me, it works fine on Debian testing with Mate (GNOME 2 fork).
> 
> Ubuntu 17.04
> Unity

I reproduced the issue:

OS: Ubuntu 17.04 (Fresh install on VM)
DE: Untiy
Libreoffice: 5.3.1.2 (Build 1:5.3.1-0ubuntu2)
Locale: he-IL (en_IL)

Results:
1. CTRL+SHIFT+ARROW allows selecting whole words, but not before changing RTL / LTR direction depending on the SHIFT selected, and this happens both in hebrew and english 
2. CTRL+C/X/V doesn't work with hebrew keyboard

Results are the same after a full upgrade
Comment 10 Buovjaga 2017-08-31 17:01:58 UTC
NEW per comment 9.

Eyal: it worked in an older version?
Comment 11 eyallior 2017-08-31 20:00:05 UTC
(In reply to Buovjaga from comment #10)
> NEW per comment 9.
> 
> Eyal: it worked in an older version?

It works in 5.1.6.2 on an older laptop running ubuntu 16.04
Comment 12 Buovjaga 2017-08-31 20:05:35 UTC
Ok, you guys who can repro could try bibisecting: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Bibisect/Linux

I guess using this repository: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/admin/projects/bibisect-linux-64-5.3
In the table it has the comment: libreoffice-5-2-branch-point to latest master.
Comment 13 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-10-13 01:51:32 UTC
eyallior: try 5.2 from the below link[1]. Simply download it, set the executable attribute[2] and run. If it is broken, please retest 5.1[3] on your current machine so we can verify that it isnt something specific to your current machine, as it ran fine on your old laptop.

[1] http://libreoffice.soluzioniopen.com/old/LibreOffice-5.2.7.2.help-x86_64.AppImage
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZ6Ikc7juw&t=1m16s
[3] http://libreoffice.soluzioniopen.com/old/LibreOffice-5.1.6.2.help-x86_64.AppImage
Comment 14 eyallior 2017-10-13 12:36:35 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) from comment #13)
> eyallior: try 5.2 from the below link[1]. Simply download it, set the
> executable attribute[2] and run. If it is broken, please retest 5.1[3] on
> your current machine so we can verify that it isnt something specific to
> your current machine, as it ran fine on your old laptop.
> 
> [1]
> http://libreoffice.soluzioniopen.com/old/LibreOffice-5.2.7.2.help-x86_64.
> AppImage
> [2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZ6Ikc7juw&t=1m16s
> [3]
> http://libreoffice.soluzioniopen.com/old/LibreOffice-5.1.6.2.help-x86_64.
> AppImage

Tried both:

5.1:
1) Can't use ctrl+c/ctrl+v/ctrl+a...
2) ctrl_arrow just doesn't do anything (can't even change the direction of the txt to right-to-left.

5.2
1) Can't use ctrl+c/ctrl+v/ctrl+a...
2) ctrl_arrows change text direction when I try to select whole words.
Comment 15 eyallior 2017-10-13 12:36:50 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 16 Maxim Monastirsky 2017-10-14 20:24:46 UTC
Well, both problems are duplicates:

(In reply to eyallior from comment #0)
> 1) No shortcut (CTRL+C/CTRL+V/CTRL+U) seem to work
Well known Unity specific problem, already reported in Bug 96022.

> 2) Trying to select whole word (CTRL+SHIFT+Arrow) causes text direction
> change
Already fixed in Bug 103158 for 5.4.0 and 5.3.4. Whoever affected can upgrade to the latest upstream release (either via a PPA or the upstream DEBs), to get rid of this bug.

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 96022 ***