Bug 112237 - Cannot get description of used commands in new customize dialog
Summary: Cannot get description of used commands in new customize dialog
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UI (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
6.0.0.0.alpha0+
Hardware: x86 (IA32) All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
Depends on: 118148
Blocks: Customize-Dialog
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2017-09-05 15:27 UTC by Regina Henschel
Modified: 2019-05-21 12:17 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Missing descriptions (23.95 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text)
2018-05-01 17:09 UTC, Gerhard Weydt
Details
No Description in Customise toolbar (54.15 KB, image/jpeg)
2018-09-07 08:02 UTC, a_amiss
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Regina Henschel 2017-09-05 15:27:00 UTC
In the old "Custimize" dialog we have this behavior:
If you select a command, which is used in a toolbar or in a menu, you get the description of the command.

In the new "Custimize" dialog you get descriptions only for the not yet included command.

That is bad, because the description contains the exact uno-command name. Such information is used by advanced users and macro developers. [Enabling the uno-command name is done by the environment variable HELP_DEBUG].
Comment 1 Heiko Tietze 2017-09-11 11:44:50 UTC
If both the left list of available commands as well as the right list of included items would show the description on change it ends in an inconsistency. You can have selected '3D Color' left and Close at right. Plus, description is clearly placed under the left list. As a solution we can show the .uno command in a tooltip.
Comment 2 Regina Henschel 2017-09-11 12:37:31 UTC
To make the problem clearer: Open Writer and set the dialog to customize the toolbar "Formatting". On the left part search for "Color". You get two times the entry "Font Color" and two times the entry "Highlight Color". There exists currently no means to know which one is actually contained in the "Formatting" toolbar.

In combination with the Description on the left part a tooltip with uno-command for the right part would solve the problem for me.
Comment 3 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-09-11 14:27:38 UTC
(In reply to Regina Henschel from comment #0)
> In the old "Custimize" dialog we have this behavior:
> If you select a command, which is used in a toolbar or in a menu, you get
> the description of the command.

Correct.

> In the new "Custimize" dialog you get descriptions only for the not yet
> included command.

Correct, as you primarily need a description to commands not already available in UI, just like previously in the 'add command' dialog.

> That is bad, because the description contains the exact uno-command name.
> Such information is used by advanced users and macro developers. [Enabling
> the uno-command name is done by the environment variable HELP_DEBUG].

I've never see the uno command name in the description, but even if it were in the description, if you dont have help installed you wouldnt find it there, so really on this field for the uno command isnt useful.

(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #1)
> As a solution we can show the .uno command in a tooltip.

Sounds reasonable, though i doubt most users would benefit from it appearing here. I would suggest it be placed out of the way, like in the rename dialog.
Comment 4 Thomas Lendo 2018-02-26 22:31:44 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 5 Gerhard Weydt 2018-05-01 17:09:46 UTC
Created attachment 141821 [details]
Missing descriptions

So here's a list of all functions where no description is shown.
Comment 6 Gerhard Weydt 2018-05-01 17:35:44 UTC
(In reply to Gerhard Weydt from comment #5)
> Created attachment 141821 [details]
> Missing descriptions
> 
> So here's a list of all functions where no description is shown.

Looking at the initial question again I reaised that I didn't get Regina's point quite right.
Would it be better to create a new bug for the missing descriptions?
Comment 7 Heiko Tietze 2018-05-02 04:29:30 UTC
> Looking at the initial question again I reaised that I didn't get Regina's
> point quite right.
> Would it be better to create a new bug for the missing descriptions?

Yes, your list is great and we definitely should think about tooltips, which are used as description in the customization dialog. It's a very simple easy-hacking task. 

Regina asked for the description of assigned commands. Left-hand for the not yet assigned commands we do have a dedicated field that shows the description but not at right. I wouldn't spoil the layout but a tooltip would be nice. Alternatively, we could select the same command in the left list which is being selected right.
Comment 8 Gerhard Weydt 2018-05-02 08:16:56 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #7)
> > Would it be better to create a new bug for the missing descriptions?
> 
> Yes, your list is great and we definitely should think about tooltips, which
> are used as description in the customization dialog. It's a very simple
> easy-hacking task. 
Does it mean that I should create a new bug report?

> Regina asked for the description of assigned commands. Left-hand for the not
> yet assigned commands we do have a dedicated field that shows the
> description but not at right. I wouldn't spoil the layout but a tooltip
> would be nice. Alternatively, we could select the same command in the left
> list which is being selected right.
I too thought about that first, but we have to keep both sides independent, because we must be able to select a function we want to add to a menu,... at left and the item after which it shall be positioned at right, which would spoil our left-hand selection, if I understand your proposal correctly.
Comment 9 a_amiss 2018-09-07 08:02:10 UTC
Created attachment 144731 [details]
No Description in Customise toolbar
Comment 10 a_amiss 2018-09-07 08:04:22 UTC
No Description in Customise menu dialogue ( Writer ) makes it impossible to choose between identical icons ( with quite different functions )

EG Search for PDF : two types, export with dialogue, or just export. In LO 5 ( with Help pack 0 the description is clear

Version affected Version  6.1.0.3 Win 10
Libre Office 6.1 Help Pack installed
A_Amiss
7 Sep 18
Comment 11 Heiko Tietze 2018-09-07 12:39:01 UTC
If you install the local help you get information below that list, though it's not complete.
Comment 12 Buovjaga 2019-05-20 15:00:02 UTC
Let's call this implementationError as there is nothing to bibisect
Comment 13 Muhammet Kara 2019-05-21 06:20:09 UTC
(In reply to Buovjaga from comment #12)
> Let's call this implementationError as there is nothing to bibisect

IMO, there is nothing to bibisect, and no implementation error here. Just a change of behaviour based on the new design.

Changing to enhancement as per the guidelines on https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Bugzilla/Fields/Keywords#implementationError

@buovjaga: Please feel free to adjust the bug report further if you think this is not appropriate and/or I misunderstood the guideline.
Comment 14 V Stuart Foote 2019-05-21 06:49:29 UTC
(In reply to Muhammet Kara from comment #13)
> (In reply to Buovjaga from comment #12)
> > Let's call this implementationError as there is nothing to bibisect
> 
> IMO, there is nothing to bibisect, and no implementation error here. Just a
> change of behaviour based on the new design.
> 
> Changing to enhancement as per the guidelines on
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/QA/Bugzilla/Fields/
> Keywords#implementationError
> 
> @buovjaga: Please feel free to adjust the bug report further if you think
> this is not appropriate and/or I misunderstood the guideline.

Actually, aren't current issues (i.e. *no* descriptions) from the disconnect of the <ahelp> tags in NEWHELP as for bug 118148?
Comment 15 Regina Henschel 2019-05-21 11:31:55 UTC
The problem for me is not the missing description for the list on the left side, but the missing information for the already inserted commands on the right side. 

Example: The 'standard' toolbar in Writer has two commands 'Symbol' with exact same icon. You cannot determine in the Customize dialog what each of them does. You have to enable both and leave the dialog. Then you can examine them. (As long as you customize a toolbar, no chance if you customize a menu. But that is another bug.) One is 'uno:InsertSymbol' the other is 'uno:CharmapControl'. It would be good to have this information already inside the Customize dialog.

Heikos suggestion, to show a tooltip with uno command, would solve the problem at least for advanced users, but conflicts with the tooltips of the dialog itself. A one-line field with uno command below the right list would be good. Or a line with the affected uno command in the Modify drop-down list.
Comment 16 Muhammet Kara 2019-05-21 12:17:16 UTC
(In reply to Regina Henschel from comment #15)
> The problem for me is not the missing description for the list on the left
> side, but the missing information for the already inserted commands on the
> right side. 
> 
> Example: The 'standard' toolbar in Writer has two commands 'Symbol' with
> exact same icon. You cannot determine in the Customize dialog what each of
> them does. You have to enable both and leave the dialog. Then you can
> examine them. (As long as you customize a toolbar, no chance if you
> customize a menu. But that is another bug.) One is 'uno:InsertSymbol' the
> other is 'uno:CharmapControl'. It would be good to have this information
> already inside the Customize dialog.
> 
> Heikos suggestion, to show a tooltip with uno command, would solve the
> problem at least for advanced users, but conflicts with the tooltips of the
> dialog itself. A one-line field with uno command below the right list would
> be good. Or a line with the affected uno command in the Modify drop-down
> list.

Okay. Hear this please:

* A pair of radio buttons above (near?) the description box to determine which side's description will be shown.
* A checkbox above/near the description box to make uno commands visible inside the description box. (Maybe saying 'Show uno command')

How does that sound?

If good, then we will need a design proposal to fit those radio buttons and the check box into the dialog without ruining it.

Btw, the pair of radio buttons might be also replaced by a checkbox since it is a binary choice.