Bug 38204 - Formula with names gets corrupted if exported to .xls
Summary: Formula with names gets corrupted if exported to .xls
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Calc (show other bugs)
(earliest affected)
3.4.0 RC1
Hardware: Other All
: medium normal
Assignee: Not Assigned
Whiteboard: target:3.5 target:3.4.2
: 38767 38802 39398 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Reported: 2011-06-12 03:01 UTC by Tohotom
Modified: 2013-11-24 21:37 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:

.xls version with broken values (7.50 KB, application/vnd.ms-excel)
2011-06-12 03:02 UTC, Tohotom
.ods version with right values (10.84 KB, application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.spreadsheet)
2011-06-12 03:03 UTC, Tohotom

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Tohotom 2011-06-12 03:01:17 UTC
Spreadsheets with formulas containing names (by this i mean inserting values created using the "Insert -> Names" command), will get corrupted (returning "Err:520) if the file is exported in .xls format. This applies to .xls files created with earlier versions of LibreOffice or OpenOffice. Howevever, saving the file in .ods format the formulas will give back the right values. Opening the broken .xls with an earlier version of LibreOffice will also give right values. 

Please see attachement for demostration. The .xls is with the broken values, the .ods for the right ones.

I used LO 3.4 final, both for Linux_amd64, and win_x86.
Comment 1 Tohotom 2011-06-12 03:02:26 UTC
Created attachment 47862 [details]
.xls version with broken values
Comment 2 Tohotom 2011-06-12 03:03:09 UTC
Created attachment 47863 [details]
.ods version with right values
Comment 3 Markus Mohrhard 2011-06-15 23:20:58 UTC
It seems that the import has some more problems here. The formulas are totally messed up.

For example: =#NAME?+12*1589 instead of =12+1589*n

Let's see if I can find the problem
Comment 4 Markus Mohrhard 2011-06-16 10:22:52 UTC
bubli pointed me to the nearly identical bug report for xlsx.

So it might not be an import problem but a problem in the calc core.

I have a closer look at both bugs.
Comment 5 Markus Mohrhard 2011-06-20 11:07:02 UTC
Ok, at least I found the problem now.

Let's see if I find a quick and clean way to solve it.
Comment 6 Markus Mohrhard 2011-06-22 11:43:33 UTC
Patch sent to the ML list and asked for sign-off into 3-4.

Will hopefully be included in 3.4.2
Comment 7 Markus Mohrhard 2011-06-29 06:03:39 UTC
*** Bug 38767 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 8 Markus Mohrhard 2011-07-01 05:38:09 UTC
*** Bug 38802 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 9 Markus Mohrhard 2011-07-21 02:28:13 UTC
*** Bug 39398 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 10 Markus Mohrhard 2011-07-21 02:30:59 UTC
*** Bug 39195 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***