Download it now!
Bug 63271 - UI: Hyperlink Dialog doesn't Close After Hyperlink is Inserted
Summary: UI: Hyperlink Dialog doesn't Close After Hyperlink is Inserted
Status: RESOLVED NOTABUG
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Writer (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
unspecified
Hardware: Other All
: medium normal
Assignee: Thomas Arnhold
URL:
Whiteboard: BSA target:4.2.0 target:4.3.0
Keywords:
: 74040 74588 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2013-04-08 15:44 UTC by Thomas van der Meulen
Modified: 2016-05-22 16:41 UTC (History)
11 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Thomas van der Meulen 2013-04-08 15:44:50 UTC
Problem description: 
wen you go to Insert--> hyperlink and press "Apply" the URL will be additeed but this box doesn't close. this can be very confusiong if you don't know that it is insurted. I think It woud be better if it closes 

Current behavior: dialox box doesn't close 

Expected behavior: dialox box doesn't close 

              
Operating System: All
Version: unspecified
Comment 1 Commit Notification 2013-10-16 18:47:41 UTC
Thomas Arnhold committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=4b1ebf998b344535d20a6205b915c21996fc06d7

fdo#63271: Close hyperlink dialog after hyperlink is inserted



The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds
Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 2 Jorendc 2014-01-25 10:00:31 UTC
*** Bug 74040 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 3 Dave Barton 2014-01-25 11:08:32 UTC
This patch should be reverted. Introducing a regression just because one user is confused and does not understand how the software functions is no justification for removing a very productive feature, which has been used by others for many years.

The comment "you don't know that it is insurted" in the original report does not make sense, because the hyperlink insertion is immediately visible in the sheet/document behind the hyperlink dialog when the "Apply" button is pressed.
Comment 4 Cor Nouws 2014-01-25 12:33:51 UTC
Ah yes.. I think Dave is right.
The same behaviour is on e.g. the Insert Fields dialog.

So + 1 from my side for reverting.
Or did I miss a discussion on UX evaluating all related behaviour ;)
Comment 5 Joel Madero 2014-01-30 17:32:37 UTC
While I agree - this isn't a MAB, it's a minor inconvenience (or major for a very limited number of people). Also I'm not sure why it's set to REOPENED - this should really be a new bug report as you're not saying the fix didn't work, you're saying you don't like the fix. 

MAB are in general limited to very very bad bugs (like crashers and loss of data).

Removing from MAB
Comment 6 Dave Barton 2014-01-30 18:45:53 UTC
It is NOT a "minor inconvenience" when it is necessary to routinely edit a number of hyperlinks in a file.
The function worked perfectly well before this so called "enhancement" was introduced.
You say "(or major for a very limited number of people)". Then I would ask you how more limited is the number of ONE person, who was "confused" and did not understand how the software functioned, to get this unnecessary deliberate regression introduced.
A new report bug 74040 was opened, but Joren instantly closed it as a duplicate of this bug, which was already closed. If there is some other way of breaking this  recursive loop of bug reporting please enlighten me.
You insinuate that I made/reopened this report because of some trivial personal preference. Personally, I could not care if the "Apply" button closes the dialog or not. However, I have put in a considerable amount of time and effort over the past months working with a small (~40-50 seat) corporate client on a proposal to migrate to LibreOffice and they say this unnecessary change will be a problem for them.
Comment 7 Joel Madero 2014-01-30 18:49:07 UTC
Fair enough about the duplicate by Joren - this still is not comparable to crashes, data loss and the like so not a MAB
Comment 8 Dave Barton 2014-01-30 19:11:26 UTC
Fine! Whatever! Change it, close it, do whatever you want. I'm done with TDF & LO.
Comment 9 Cor Nouws 2014-02-05 22:23:17 UTC
*** Bug 74588 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 10 Cor Nouws 2014-02-05 22:25:24 UTC
@ thomas,

Sorry for what happened, but can you pls revert the commit?

thanks,
Cor
Comment 11 retired 2014-02-06 10:38:23 UTC
Dave Barton: no need to get too emotional about this. While I agree this is very annoying it's def not a MAB bug. It's a UI glitch that of course should be dealt with.

Maybe a solution already would be to replace "Apply" with "Ok". I love adding a hyperlink and just hit enter to apply and close that dialogue. I do not want to have to click several times etc. I want it done quickly and I want it done ideally with only the keyboard and as few clicks as possible.

Also this doesn't look like an enhancement (it's imo not a feature request, but indeed a bug with the current naming of the button.

Looking at word 2010: there's exactly two buttons "ok" and "cancle". Imo LO should copy that and reduce the selection options. Currently four buttons for this basic dialogue are a bit too much.
Comment 12 retired 2014-02-06 10:45:28 UTC
OK, to make things more confusing, reading the initial report by Thomas van der Meulen I really thing this bug is fixed.

Adding astron and Mirek2 to CC: for some UX/Design perspective on this.

I'd suggest

* Close this bug and create a new bug about the buttons
* reduce buttons from four to two (ok and cancle)
* have OK close the dialogue and apply the changes

Done. Thoughts?
Comment 13 Dave Barton 2014-02-06 14:02:40 UTC
OK! Here are my thoughts:

If I do something totally unnecessary, which causes you (Anonymous "Foss") to loose clients and income, would you not be "emotional"? I have spent thirteen years promoting OOo and (up until now) LO. During that time I have moved/converted something in the order of five thousand users (both corporate and individual) to become full time users of the software. "Small beer" compared to Italo's excellent work, but not to be discounted as insignificant.

You say "in word 2010: there's exactly two buttons "ok" and "cancle". Imo LO should copy that". Do you think that LO should become an "el-cheapo knock-off" clone of MS Office? Should the side-bar be dropped in favor of a "me-to" ribbon? One of the reasons I had the opportunity/opening to promote LO to this client is that (amongst other things) they were seriously ****** off by the fact that MS Office did not keep the dialog open when they were editing many hyperlinks. Why they needed to do things this way is irrelevant to this issue. If possible, I try to find the right tool for the client's needs, not to try and force a client into using something just because "I like it".

I don't see the logic or rational of changing the button name from "Apply" to "OK". Sounds something like suggesting that if the deckchairs on the "SS Titanic" had been rearranged it would not have sunk.

You propose reducing the number of buttons from four to two. Does this mean you want to remove the "Help" button? One of the main complaints from confused inexperienced users is that they find it difficult to find information. So your proposal would be a big step "forward" in reducing those complaints. The only change I would suggest is to rename the "Back" button to "Revert", or possibly better "Undo".

Again, I fail to understand the logic or rational of closing a report, just to reopen it again under a different bug # and go through this same exchange all over again. A new report would probably be immediately closed as a duplicate of this bug, which is what happened in the case of my original bug 74040 report, even though this bug had already been closed. I only reopened this report to stop that "merry-go-round".

Over the years I have been involved with a number of OS projects, in some cases as a developer and I have never seen a deliberate regression introduced just because ONE "confused" user did not understand how the software functioned. In my experience, changes of this nature require at least some minimal degree of consensus.

The only thing you and I can agree on here is that I made a mistake in adding this to the 4.2 MAB report, which, as Joel has already pointed out, does not cause the program to crash, or result in data loss. OK! My bad. An oversight for which I apologize.

However, unless I hear some logical reasoned justification to the contrary (saying "I like it" does not qualify), I still maintain that this commit should be reverted.
Comment 14 Cor Nouws 2014-02-14 14:12:52 UTC
There was no urgent/real need nor reasonable analyses under the change.

The path just has to be reverted - then if UX comes up with a good and coherent solution after similar discussion - we can see again.
Comment 15 Cor Nouws 2014-02-15 06:25:47 UTC
@thomas ^2
Is it possible for you to understand the problems that are caused by this patch?
Can you pls agree that it makes more sense to have a good look at the funcionality, background, (related) use cases, before applying this change?

thanks,
Cor
Comment 16 Dave Barton 2014-02-25 05:30:52 UTC
It has now been 10 days since any comment was made on this issue. Can we please make a decision if this commit is going to be reverted or not. If not, then I urgently need to look for an alternative program that meets my client's need for a more efficient method of adding/editing multiple hyperlinks in spreadsheets.
Comment 17 Joel Madero 2014-02-25 05:41:53 UTC
This is a group of almost exclusively volunteers - it may take some time before a decision is made as we hope to have the original author of the patch to be involved with the decision.
Comment 18 Dave Barton 2014-02-25 08:40:58 UTC
Having been involved with OOo/LO since 2001, I fully understand the volunteer status of most contributors/developers. However, since Thomas Arnold has not responded to the comments on this issue since I reopened it 2 months ago and unless I have missed them (very possible), there has not been any other commits from him since then. Do we wait indefinitely for the original author to become involved in the decision? The decision to revert this "unnecessary" change to something that has never been an issue/problem for users, is a relatively simple Yes/No choice.
Comment 19 Cor Nouws 2014-02-25 08:59:10 UTC
I think that the fact that people are not responding is not a good way to act in a community.

If there is a problem with a change, and it is decided to revert that (to start with), that says nothing at all about appreciation of all the (other) work people do, their efforts and good intentions and so forth.

But not responding looks rather unprofessional and childish. And also brings the risk that the mutual appreciation for each others work (it's still a many's people project) suffers.
Comment 20 Thomas van der Meulen 2014-02-25 10:18:03 UTC
I am working to undo the changed done by Thomas Arnhold, i will push the patch tommorow.
Comment 21 Joel Madero 2014-02-25 14:31:13 UTC
For all we know Thomas doesn't receive FDO emails - I emailed him personally last night.
Comment 22 Tin Man 2014-02-25 17:27:36 UTC
Just had a look at the dialog:
It seems most of the button labels in the Hyperlink dialog are misleading, so let me explain the expected functionality behind standard button labels:
The standard is for "Apply" to apply the changes and leave the dialog open, "OK" to apply the changes and close the dialog, "Close" to close the dialog (should be used when changes are applied automatically), "Cancel" to revert changes made and close the dialog, "Undo" to go a single step back in history, "Back" to navigate to the last visited screen.

So, in terms of the current hyperlink dialog:
* There should be two buttons instead of the current "Apply": "Apply" and "OK", working as described above.
* "Close" should be renamed to "Cancel"
* "Back" should be renamed to "Revert" ("Undo" doesn't quite fit the bill, as the button doesn't go through each step in history); however, IMHO it'd be good to remove this button -- it does the same thing as Cancel, only without closing the dialog.
Comment 23 Cor Nouws 2014-02-26 07:56:02 UTC
(In reply to comment #22)
> Just had a look at the dialog:


Hi MIrek,

Can you pls review your comment and then reflect which of the buttons you describe are in which sub-window?
Clear focus on the buttons in the main window makes it easier to understand,

thanks a lot,
Cor
Comment 24 Cor Nouws 2014-02-26 07:56:29 UTC
(In reply to comment #22)
> Just had a look at the dialog:


Hi Mirek,

Can you pls review your comment and then reflect which of the buttons you describe are in which sub-window?
Clear focus on the buttons in the main window makes it easier to understand,

thanks a lot,
Cor
Comment 25 Cor Nouws 2014-02-26 08:02:49 UTC
(In reply to comment #20)
> I am working to undo the changed done by Thomas Arnhold, i will push the
> patch tommorow.

thank Thomas! Much appreciated.  More then happy to think about improvements with some more thoughts ;)
Comment 26 Tin Man 2014-02-26 09:39:10 UTC
(In reply to comment #24)
> (In reply to comment #22)
> Can you pls review your comment and then reflect which of the buttons you
> describe are in which sub-window?

Not sure if I understand you correctly -- "Apply", "Close", and "Back" all appear under every pane of the Hyperlink dialog at the bottom right.
Comment 27 Thomas van der Meulen 2014-02-26 10:15:25 UTC
I didn't get it to work pushing to gerrit .., 
could some on else please try to undo the changed made here??, thanks 


http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=4b1ebf998b344535d20a6205b915c21996fc06d7
Comment 28 Cor Nouws 2014-02-26 19:31:50 UTC
(In reply to comment #26)

> Not sure if I understand you correctly -- "Apply", "Close", and "Back" all
> appear under every pane of the Hyperlink dialog at the bottom right.

But you mention OK, Cancel, Undo too :)
Comment 29 Tin Man 2014-02-26 19:47:44 UTC
(In reply to comment #28)
> (In reply to comment #26)
> 
> > Not sure if I understand you correctly -- "Apply", "Close", and "Back" all
> > appear under every pane of the Hyperlink dialog at the bottom right.
> 
> But you mention OK, Cancel, Undo too :)

I mentioned "OK" and "Cancel" because they're the right labels for what the current "Apply" and "Close" buttons do. 
I mentioned "Undo" and "Revert" (Dave Barton's suggestions) in discussion of what the right label for the current "Back" button would be, arguing that "Revert" fits better.
Comment 30 Thomas van der Meulen 2014-02-27 08:53:59 UTC
here is the undoing patch : https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/#/c/8376/
Comment 31 Commit Notification 2014-02-27 12:43:01 UTC
pje335_NL committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=65453d5aebdf851034632d5593f0a1023f7015fe

Undoing changed made on fdo#63271 because of complains.



The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds
Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 32 retired 2014-02-27 16:39:02 UTC
Mirek2 basically confirms what I suggested.

I created a new bug for improving those really confusing buttons: https://www.libreoffice.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=75578

This bug here is getting out of hand. Let's start with a clean slate.
Comment 33 Thomas Arnhold 2014-03-03 08:59:51 UTC
Yes, just revert it, as it has been done. It's no problem :)
Comment 34 Dave Barton 2014-03-03 12:41:12 UTC
(In reply to comment #33)
> Yes, just revert it, as it has been done. It's no problem :)

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your kind cooperation and apologies for misspelling your name in a previous comment. Also, my thanks to  Thomas van der Meulen.

The change has been applied to master for 4.3 daily, but it has not been applied to Version: 4.2.3.0.0+
Build ID: dc5b0d326ce4e5e182611a50337226259775ab83
TinderBox: Win-x86@42, Branch:libreoffice-4-2, Time: 2014-03-03_10:18:36

Is there any possibility of this making it into the 4.2.3 release?

Regards
Dave
Comment 35 Cor Nouws 2014-03-05 17:03:31 UTC
*** Bug 75805 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 36 Kumāra 2014-08-11 11:17:07 UTC
Guys, guys, a solution to make everyone happy is at Bug 56456. Please have a look.
Comment 37 Thomas Arnhold 2014-08-17 11:44:04 UTC
Proposed fix: https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/10946
Comment 38 Jean-Baptiste Faure 2016-05-22 16:41:27 UTC
I think that the right status is NotABug instead of WontFix. Indeed Apply button does not close the dialog because its function is to fill the field named Text if not already filled and allows to modify other settings.
To close immediately the dialog use the OK button which is the default button.

Best regards. JBF