Bug 84565 - UI: Remember setting of "keep ratio" checkbox and Save value in ODF file
Summary: UI: Remember setting of "keep ratio" checkbox and Save value in ODF file
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: LibreOffice (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: Other All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
: 52131 98413 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks: 84385 Image-Dialog Frame-Dialog ODF-spec
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-10-01 19:17 UTC by Luke
Modified: 2017-08-31 14:49 UTC (History)
7 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Same docx with linked images that have different "Lock Aspect Ratio" values (24.43 KB, application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document)
2017-04-05 02:45 UTC, Luke
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Luke 2014-10-01 19:17:20 UTC
For each image in a file, the picture->type->keep ratio checkbox is forgotten when you close the dialog box. Instead, LO should remember this setting for each image in writer, impress, and presentation documents. 

The new attribute should be saved in the loext namespace.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/ODF_Implementer_Notes

To see how other office suites use the "keep ratio" attribute. Open the attachment 107017 [details] in Word or Kingsoft Writer. Note how one image is locked, while the other is unlocked.
Comment 1 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2014-10-01 19:37:02 UTC
Hi Luke,

Keep ratio is retained for picture but not draw objects.
Comment 2 QA Administrators 2015-10-14 19:58:03 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 3 Luke 2015-10-14 20:35:07 UTC
Tested Version: 5.1.0.0.alpha1+
Build ID: f830600ece806ec365a4839e79afabe183c5e36d

Pictures and shapes still have the "keep ratio" checkbox that doesn't actually control how dragging affects the aspect ratio of the object. Very confusing if you have ever used any other office suite or drawing software.
Comment 4 Julien Nabet 2016-03-04 19:12:26 UTC
*** Bug 98413 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 5 Luke 2016-03-04 21:18:16 UTC
*** Bug 52131 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 6 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2016-08-25 05:49:41 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 7 john 2017-02-11 05:33:29 UTC
Confirmed, still a problem with LO 5.2.5.1. The "keep ratio" dialog remembers its setting during an editing session, but forgets it whenever a document is closed/reopened.

The setting of this dialog should be stored somewhere as a preference or in a stylesheet, or something.
Comment 8 Heiko Tietze 2017-04-02 10:48:23 UTC
Agreed with the request to store settings made in dialogs. But I don't get the point of "and save it as an ODF extension". So I remove this, also the UX keyword, and move it to UI.
Comment 9 Tomaz Vajngerl 2017-04-02 12:55:24 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #8)
> Agreed with the request to store settings made in dialogs. But I don't get
> the point of "and save it as an ODF extension".

You need to remember the "keep ratio" setting for each shape / image in the document, so you can only do this if you store this in the file format so ODF needs to be extended with an extra attribute.
Comment 10 Regina Henschel 2017-04-03 13:30:42 UTC
There are two features mixed up. The checkbox in the dialog is not related to the property of the picture, but it is a property of the dialog. It says, that the width and height field of the dialog are depend on each other. Of cause, it would be useful if the dialog keeps the setting.

To extend the properties of an image to a feature "keep ratio on resize" is different from such a checkbox. But such property cannot be a property of the image itself, because images may be linked and because the image formats are not under control of ODF or LibreOffice. Only the <draw:frame> element, which contains the image can have such property. There exist already a similar feature for the "Image Control", where you can set the scale to "No", "Keep ratio" or "Fit to size".

I would not mix these two things and split the request. Making the checkbox setting persistent can be done immediately and perhaps should get an own bug. It is independent from ODF.
Comment 11 Luke 2017-04-05 02:45:25 UTC
Created attachment 132340 [details]
Same docx with linked images that have different "Lock Aspect Ratio" values

(In reply to Regina Henschel from comment #10)
> There are two features mixed up. The checkbox in the dialog is not related
> to the property of the picture, but it is a property of the dialog. 

This issue is covered in Bug 84385, which this bug depends on

> To extend the properties of an image to a feature "keep ratio on resize" is
> different from such a checkbox. But such property cannot be a property of
> the image itself, because images may be linked and because the image formats
> are not under control of ODF or LibreOffice. Only the <draw:frame> element,
> which contains the image can have such property. There exist already a
> similar feature for the "Image Control", where you can set the scale to
> "No", "Keep ratio" or "Fit to size".

WordPerfect, Word, and Excel have no problem tracking the "Lock Aspect Ratio" attribute of linked images. Are you saying it's not possible to extend our linked images to track an additional image properties?


> I would not mix these two things and split the request. Making the checkbox
> setting persistent can be done immediately and perhaps should get an own
> bug. It is independent from ODF.


If each image in a document has it's own "Lock Aspect Ratio" attribute, how can you save this value without extending ODF?
Comment 12 Tomaz Vajngerl 2017-04-05 10:31:36 UTC
(In reply to Luke from comment #11) 
> WordPerfect, Word, and Excel have no problem tracking the "Lock Aspect
> Ratio" attribute of linked images. Are you saying it's not possible to
> extend our linked images to track an additional image properties?

No, she just said that there is no image specific attributes in ODF. There is the draw:frame element to which we could add this attribute, but it is not image specific as you could add it to a shape or chart also. IMHO, this makes sense and in MSO you can add the attribute to shapes and charts too, but the scope of the bug becomes different - not only images.

> If each image in a document has it's own "Lock Aspect Ratio" attribute, how
> can you save this value without extending ODF?

I agree - you were clear from the start that you want it for each image, so the bug to remember the dialog state is irrelevant here, because it wouldn't solve your problem. Also adding the attribute to ODF would solve both at the same time.
Comment 13 Cor Nouws 2017-08-18 17:37:24 UTC
is this changed summary OK?
Comment 14 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-08-21 11:01:50 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #13)
> is this changed summary OK?

checkbox is available in many dialogs (e.g. frame, ole), not just the picture/image dialog. :D
Comment 15 Cor Nouws 2017-08-21 12:25:28 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) from comment #14)
> checkbox is available in many dialogs (e.g. frame, ole), not just the
> picture/image dialog. :D

Yep I noticed, but this issue and the reasoning, was all about pictures..
@Luke: what is your take on this?