UI: Make the option for ability unlock & re position toolbars more obvious. Follow-up on bug 131441 and the discussions in bug 92484.
Small change, lot's of impact. The current implementation of the locked toolbar isn't great (unintuitive), IMHO. First thought, what the heck, are the toolbars changed to fixed position. Regina pointed me to bug 131770.
Some suggestions/ comments.
1. Show the handle/drag indicator (dotted 'line') at the left, even when the toolbar is locked. This makes people aware that the toolbar can be dragged in theory. Yes, I'm aware, it this could be confusing to (drag indicator) without ability to drag, but people would at least 'search' for a solution, I guess. I did really think that someone made the toolbars fixed for some reason...
2. Add a right click context menu to the drag indicator (containing lock/unlock & undock toolbar). The toolbar Right click context menu is already way to long for netbooks etc. And the lock/unlock toolbar item is easily overlooked. At least I overlooked it. I stopped looking after first 10 items or so...
Btw, I also nearly never use the Right Click context menu for the toolbar at all
3. Add a menu entry lock/unlock toolbars to the View -> Toolbars menu
4. Make the lock/unlock setting a 'global' setting. The ability to lock/unlock toolbars individually is annoying. Example: Draw sidebar unlock is separated from draw toolbar unlock. At least I don't see the need for individual locked positions.
5. If we are already at the point of locking things to fixed place, please do the same for the sidebar.
A: This would make things consistent
B: I made the sidebar floating unintentionally numerous of times
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Open Writer
2. Try to drag a toolbar
The ability to re-order or making toolbars float is totally hidden.
User Profile Reset: No
Version: 220.127.116.11.alpha0+ (x64)
Build ID: 4501a0ba623ad61c5a4e0b807da2e96f0e4ce82c
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.3 Build 9600; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win;
Locale: nl-NL (nl_NL); UI-Language: en-US
Any opinion on this?
An option to globally set toolbar locking at tools > options > view makes sense. As this would be a UNO command you may customize it into the menu (against this by default).
Summary needs work, it already is obvious now that the toolbars are locked (by default for bug 92484)--the vertical ellipsis dots are not shown, clean and simple.
However, as noted in bug 131441 the ability to toggle from all locked to all unlocked, and back, would be a good addition to current ability to do so with each individual toolbars by its context menu.
The visual indicator of all unlocked toolbar state would be visibility of the vertical ellipsis dots.
Otherwise, for Toolbars, several options to consider:
-- order of the toolbar context menu buttons
-- pin the show/hide, and lock/unlock
-- set the default action to toggle the lock.
As to the Sidebar deck behavior--leave it alone. Completely different UI and controls.
So let's do it.