Bug 136073 - Sidebar: effect section instead of glow, shadow, soft edge separate section
Summary: Sidebar: effect section instead of glow, shadow, soft edge separate section
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: UI (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
unspecified
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: andreas_k
URL:
Whiteboard: target:7.1.0
Keywords:
Depends on:
Blocks: Sidebar-UI-UX
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2020-08-24 13:58 UTC by andreas_k
Modified: 2021-11-15 14:48 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:
Regression By:


Attachments
effect section (37.83 KB, image/png)
2020-08-24 13:58 UTC, andreas_k
Details
8 sections in impress (18.39 KB, image/png)
2020-08-24 13:58 UTC, andreas_k
Details
chart Type sidebar layout (17.01 KB, image/png)
2020-08-28 20:25 UTC, andreas_k
Details
Final Solution (20.86 KB, image/png)
2020-11-09 11:31 UTC, andreas_k
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description andreas_k 2020-08-24 13:58:09 UTC
Created attachment 164634 [details]
effect section

glow, shadow and soft edge are separate sidebar sections. glow and soft edge are new in 7.0.

after a discussion with Mike the suggestion is to group all 3 sections into one effect section. 

This has the following benefit:
- 2 sections less (in impress there are now 8 sections)
- better alignment cause the widgets can be aligned with the string "Transparancy:"
- reduce of complexity

at the attachment you see the proposal. I'm open with the sorting of the 3 sections. From the code point of view it work opposit way.
Comment 1 andreas_k 2020-08-24 13:58:39 UTC
Created attachment 164635 [details]
8 sections in impress
Comment 2 andreas_k 2020-08-28 20:25:44 UTC
Created attachment 164827 [details]
chart Type sidebar layout

The Chart Sidebar Elements group can be used for a layout proposal for effect sidebar group.
Comment 3 Heiko Tietze 2020-09-08 08:04:14 UTC
Disclaimer in bug 136125 comment 3 - remove all effects from the sidebar but keep in Draw/Impress. And a common section for all effects features make sense, although it's pointless to set a blurry shadow together with glow and/or soft edges. 

So again: Remove this in Writer and combine in Draw/Impress.
Comment 4 andreas_k 2020-09-08 08:17:09 UTC
how the effect section can look like you will see in attachment 164802 [details]
Comment 5 Mike Kaganski 2020-09-08 08:19:07 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #3)
> although it's pointless to set a blurry shadow together with glow
> and/or soft edges. 

FTR: It is not pointless. Shadow of a semi-transparent soft-edged object with semi-transparent glow gets additional effects in its shadow by applying blur.
Comment 6 andreas_k 2020-09-08 08:23:08 UTC
FTR: If the effect stuff is available in writer, I don't have a problem to show an CLOSED (by default) effect section in the sidebar. It's consistent and show that LibO is ONE product and you can use stuff in writer, calc, impress, draw, ...

but please merge the 3 sections into one.
Comment 7 Roman Kuznetsov 2020-09-08 08:29:06 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #3)
> Disclaimer in bug 136125 comment 3 - remove all effects from the sidebar but
> keep in Draw/Impress. And a common section for all effects features make
> sense, although it's pointless to set a blurry shadow together with glow
> and/or soft edges. 
> 
> So again: Remove this in Writer and combine in Draw/Impress.

And if I'll want add Glow to shape in Writer I'll can't just use Sidebar and should be use a dialog (what's dialog, btw?) that doesn't have these options?!
Comment 8 Heiko Tietze 2020-09-08 08:39:02 UTC
(In reply to Roman Kuznetsov from comment #7)
> And if I'll want add Glow to shape in Writer I'll can't just use Sidebar and
> should be use a dialog (what's dialog, btw?) that doesn't have these
> options?!

Which is a serious bug. Please file a ticket.
Comment 9 Commit Notification 2020-10-19 11:06:50 UTC
andreas kainz committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

https://git.libreoffice.org/core/commit/55281fe6d3cda23d37b0b0c368786c9fc4c5abe9

tdf#136073 combine glow and softedge sidebar section

It will be available in 7.1.0.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
https://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 10 Heiko Tietze 2020-10-20 09:25:47 UTC
Follow-up in bug 137615; please reopen in case the patch is reverted eventually.
Comment 11 andreas_k 2020-10-20 09:32:26 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #10)
> Follow-up in bug 137615; please reopen in case the patch is reverted
> eventually.

Only Soft Edge and Glow are in the Effect Section Sidebar. Shadow need to be added but need more work, cause Soft Edge and Glow are not everywhere available, when Shadow is available.
Comment 12 Heiko Tietze 2020-10-20 09:38:47 UTC
I guess you will keep on with the integration, once the crash is fixed => ASSIGNED
Comment 13 andreas_k 2020-10-23 06:46:33 UTC
(In reply to Commit Notification from comment #9)
> andreas kainz committed a patch related to this issue.
> It has been pushed to "master":
> 
> https://git.libreoffice.org/core/commit/
> 55281fe6d3cda23d37b0b0c368786c9fc4c5abe9
> 
> tdf#136073 combine glow and softedge sidebar section
> 
> It will be available in 7.1.0.
> 
> The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
> https://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
> information about daily builds can be found at:
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds
> 
> Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.

After I submit the patch to combine Glow and Soft Edge Sidebar Section, when I will open the new effect sidebar section, LibO crash.
Comment 14 andreas_k 2020-11-09 10:51:05 UTC
I reviewed master build again and have to say I will separate Shadow from Effect (Glow + Soft Edge) cause it need to much horizontal space if everything is in one group. So two groups are ok for me.
Comment 15 Heiko Tietze 2020-11-09 11:21:25 UTC
Shadow is part of the Area properties and might fit there.
Comment 16 andreas_k 2020-11-09 11:31:28 UTC
Created attachment 167124 [details]
Final Solution

I think it's ok.

we can talk about:
1. Shadow has an activate checkbox, Glow and Soft Edge not, remove ths checkbox and use Distance for activate (the good think is that the default distance (= 6px) is to large)
Integrate it into Area is not so good, cause than the Area Panel is to big.
Comment 17 Heiko Tietze 2020-11-09 11:35:20 UTC
(In reply to andreas_k from comment #16)
> I think it's ok.

If I need 10 controls to get a simple shadow, it's not okay. Ideally we show just the checkbox (and similar at the other decks), alternatively distance and color (blur should be always on).
Comment 18 andreas_k 2020-11-09 11:42:16 UTC
> If I need 10 controls to get a simple shadow, it's not okay. Ideally we show
> just the checkbox (and similar at the other decks), alternatively distance
> and color (blur should be always on).

Lol, that's not so easy, cause you can't make usefull defaults for a shadow or a blur effect. The Shadow depend on what you draw (size of the elements, ...). In Draw there is a shadow button in the toolbar, where we can add blur by default, but in the sidebar we can remove only the checkbox and use the distrance widget to activate the shadow.
Comment 19 andreas_k 2020-11-09 11:48:24 UTC
what we can do is to remove the Glow and Soft Edge header and use the label instead of Radius. Like in Blur. This reduce two lines (and is consistent between the different Panels.
Comment 20 Mike Kaganski 2020-11-09 12:40:40 UTC
(In reply to andreas_k from comment #16)
> we can talk about:
> 1. Shadow has an activate checkbox, Glow and Soft Edge not, remove ths
> checkbox and use Distance for activate (the good think is that the default
> distance (= 6px) is to large)

We can't use Distance to activate shadow. In MS Office, there's a shadow option not *yet* available in LO: *size* of the shadow. It may be in a range from 1% to 200%. With it, the zero distance of the shadow makes perfect sense, since then a shadow of, say, 125% with distance 0 becomes uniformly enlarged from all sides. So we must take that into account.
Comment 21 andreas_k 2020-11-09 18:50:32 UTC
(In reply to Mike Kaganski from comment #20)
> We can't use Distance to activate shadow. In MS Office, there's a shadow
> option not *yet* available in LO: *size* of the shadow. It may be in a range
> from 1% to 200%. With it, the zero distance of the shadow makes perfect
> sense, since then a shadow of, say, 125% with distance 0 becomes uniformly
> enlarged from all sides. So we must take that into account.

good to know, but would it be possible to have a size widget which is activated when distance = 0px and all other widgets are deactivated? 

All I want is a CONSISTENT sidebar.
Comment 22 Mike Kaganski 2020-11-09 18:57:12 UTC
(In reply to andreas_k from comment #21)
> would it be possible to have a size widget which is
> activated when distance = 0px and all other widgets are deactivated? 

No. The default value for the size is not 0, it's 100, which is a valid effective value. It would be there in the control  automatically, thus making 0 in distance still a working value. Shadow is very complex effect. You can't assume any single shadow property's value as a indicator of its disablement.