Observed on OSX 10.9.4 / LO 184.108.40.206 and 4.4 master
It is possible to create an ODT which contains an image that does not display under "Images" within Navigator. An example is attached which contains two images, only one of which can be seen in Navigator.
(Note: Due to bug 83493, this document may load very slowly due to the presence of externally linked images)
Within the content.xml of the document, the problem appears to relate to the fact that the first <draw:frame> doesn't have a "draw:name" attribute:
<draw:frame text:anchor-type="as-char" svg:y="0cm" draw:z-index="0" draw:style-name="gr1" draw:text-style-name="P4" svg:width="3.372cm" svg:height="1.371cm">
<draw:image xlink:href="http://ask.libreoffice.org/m/tdf/media/images/tdf-logo.png?v=7" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad">
<draw:frame draw:style-name="fr1" draw:name="Image1" text:anchor-type="as-char" svg:width="7.853cm" svg:height="3.193cm" draw:z-index="1">
<draw:image xlink:href="http://ask.libreoffice.org/m/tdf/media/images/tdf-logo.png?v=7" xlink:type="simple" xlink:show="embed" xlink:actuate="onLoad"/>
The problematic image was inserted using a Python script, and it seems likely there's no way of creating such a document using the Writer interface alone.
Possibly the solution is to always generate a name on insertion / file load if it is missing?
Created attachment 105972 [details]
Here are the files that i mentioned that had image problems in navigator.
attachment 96366 [details] - images having no labels
attachment 105410 [details] [GB_2013.docx] - images not being listed
Navigator shows only one image (the 2nd) instead of two.
The two .docx mentioned above have a problem in the same category; when an image isn't named within the OOXML of the .docx, the image isn't shown correctly in Navigator.
In the case of import from .docx, it seems that the symptom is slightly different for some images - the image shows as a blank entry in Navigator rather than being missing altogether. Clicking on such broken entries does not select the correct image in the document, but always and only the last such image. In addition, (some?) unnamed images of this sort appear to be automatically assigned a name when saved as ODT (they become images "1", "2", "3", ...), which doesn't happen with the originally attached document.
- Unnamed images can be inserted by macro
- Unnamed images can pass through import filters (which?) without being named
- Some but not all unnamed images get named when they are saved
- Navigator shows some unnamed images as non-functional blank entries, and others not at all
In terms of solutions;
Option 1: Fully allow unnamed images
- Word appears able to have unnamed images in a .docx, so it might be considered reasonable to allow saving them back the same way.
- In this case, Navigator should be made to show all such images in a form that allows them to be interacted with properly.
- At present, you can't create an unnamed image in Writer - deleting the name causes a new one to be inserted automatically when the properties dialog is closed. If they are to be allowed, then this should probably be made possible (the images would have to be given some other placeholder under Navigator).
Option 2: Fully forbid unnamed images
- Macro interactions and all import filters would have to be audited to ensure that all images that are inserted/loaded are named and properly visible in Navigator from birth.
** Please read this message in its entirety before responding **
To make sure we're focusing on the bugs that affect our users today, LibreOffice QA is asking bug reporters and confirmers to retest open, confirmed bugs which have not been touched for over a year.
There have been thousands of bug fixes and commits since anyone checked on this bug report. During that time, it's possible that the bug has been fixed, or the details of the problem have changed. We'd really appreciate your help in getting confirmation that the bug is still present.
If you have time, please do the following:
Test to see if the bug is still present on a currently supported version of LibreOffice
(5.1.6 or 5.2.3 https://www.libreoffice.org/download/
If the bug is present, please leave a comment that includes the version of LibreOffice and
your operating system, and any changes you see in the bug behavior
If the bug is NOT present, please set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED-WORKSFORME and leave
a short comment that includes your version of LibreOffice and Operating System
Please DO NOT
Update the version field
Reply via email (please reply directly on the bug tracker)
Set the bug's Status field to RESOLVED - FIXED (this status has a particular meaning that is not
appropriate in this case)
If you want to do more to help you can test to see if your issue is a REGRESSION. To do so:
1. Download and install oldest version of LibreOffice (usually 3.3 unless your bug pertains to a feature added after 3.3)
2. Test your bug
3. Leave a comment with your results.
4a. If the bug was present with 3.3 - set version to "inherited from OOo";
4b. If the bug was not present in 3.3 - add "regression" to keyword
Feel free to come ask questions or to say hello in our QA chat: http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=libreoffice-qa
Thank you for helping us make LibreOffice even better for everyone!