On OSX 10.11.1 with Oracle Java 1.8 installed and using LO51a1:
when opening the LibreOfficeDev - Settings - LibreOfficeDev - Advanced under Java Options in the already installed Java the installed Oracle Java 1.8 is not listed, so it cannot be checked to be used by LO.
On the same system the LO 220.127.116.11 sees it and it can be selected and used.
@miles : are you talking about a JRE or a JDK ?
In my master build 5.2 alpha, LO sees my Oracle java.jar installed in :
this is where the JDK is installed to (which contains a JRE). If you have only installed a JRE, then try changing that for a JDK and report back.
I just installed the JDK (as opposed to the JRE) and it fixed the issue, using LO 5.1 on El Capitan. Some documentation of this would be nice, though, unless you can get the JRE to appear, as this is what most people will get to install, in line with the label used in the Advanced preference pane. Many thanks!
Per comment 2 WFM
(In reply to Yvan Rose from comment #2)
> [...] Some documentation of this would be nice,
> though, unless you can get the JRE to appear, as this is what most people
> will get to install, in line with the label used in the Advanced preference
> pane. Many thanks!
Good idea, I think Yvan.
Do you have a clear/finished proposal for that, or is there an issue for this?
Cheers - Cor
*** Bug 98518 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
This is not resolved. Requiring JDK instead of JRE is not a solution but a workaround. Many of us do not need or want JDK on our computers.
As work around for Oracle/Apple NOTOURBUG bug 74877 LibreOffice has incorporated Patrick Luby's patches developed for NeoOffice that by-passes OS X JNI calls, but that now require use of the JRE bundled with a JDK install.
We could NOTOURBUG this or, WONTFIX it as I just did. The workaround of a JDK install on OS X is sufficient until Apple and/or Oracle resolve.
*** Bug 99012 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 97668 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 100884 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***