Bug Hunting Session
Bug 98058 - XML property to disable the icon in the menu bar entry
Summary: XML property to disable the icon in the menu bar entry
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: LibreOffice (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
5.2.0.0.alpha0+
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Maxim Monastirsky
URL:
Whiteboard: target:6.1.0
Keywords: needsDevEval, topicUI
Depends on:
Blocks: Main-Menu UI-Theming
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-02-21 16:57 UTC by Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired)
Modified: 2019-04-10 08:46 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2016-02-21 16:57:30 UTC
Ideally we would want every command to have an small and large icon with it, but we dont want the menu bar cluttered with icons, so we need a property in the .xcu files or menubar.xml to disable the appearance of the small icon in the menu bar.

We see the problem occurring in File > Open Remote File, as well as Impress's View > Slide Master
Comment 1 Joel Madero 2016-02-21 17:14:59 UTC
@Jay - you can just push these to NEW and in UX-Advice. No reason for anyone from QA to ever read them :)
Comment 2 V Stuart Foote 2016-02-21 22:56:30 UTC
@Jay,

Not sure I follow. We already have space carved out of the menus to hold the small icon--personally I find it less tedious to scan the icon than to read the menu label.

So, is your thought to make use of small icons on menus optional? Perhaps collapsing the menu width in response? That would make sense.

But moving to eliminate the icons from the menus--rather than making them consistently available--would be moving the wrong direction.

=-=-=

On a side note--getting the menu keyboard accelerators and more importantly the menu shortcuts back under control is probably more important UX facet.
Comment 3 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2016-02-22 05:30:14 UTC
(In reply to Joel Madero from comment #1)
> @Jay - you can just push these to NEW and in UX-Advice. No reason for anyone
> from QA to ever read them :)

@Joel - sorry about that. :D

(In reply to V Stuart Foote from comment #2)
> @Jay,

@Stuart,

> Not sure I follow. We already have space carved out of the menus to hold the
> small icon--personally I find it less tedious to scan the icon than to read
> the menu label.

Yes its important for some entries in the menu to have small icons, but not every single entry or else scanning the list wont be easy and presently we dont have a means to hide an entry small icons from the menu without it hiding it also in the toolbars.

Not sure why, but i thought my explanation was straight forward and is the same concept found in our new HIG - "Show icons for the most important items." Maybe Heiko can better explain it.
Comment 4 Heiko Tietze 2016-02-22 12:23:37 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf (Jay) Philips from comment #3)
> Not sure why, but i thought my explanation was straight forward and is the
> same concept found in our new HIG - "Show icons for the most important
> items." Maybe Heiko can better explain it.

Icons clutter if they are spread over the menu or the parent control. A good example is the attachment "2-line mockups" from tdf#87812 "SIDEBAR: More animation information in list control". Icons are, however, a visual attractor if used restrainedly, adding structure like separator lines.

What I also don't understand is the large icon thing. On/off is clear, but what do you have in mind with large icons? HiRes displays?
Comment 5 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2016-02-22 13:50:29 UTC
(In reply to Heiko Tietze from comment #4)
> What I also don't understand is the large icon thing. On/off is clear, but
> what do you have in mind with large icons? HiRes displays?

So UNO commands have a setting of whether they display an icon or not and if this is enabled and there are small and large icons associated with the command, the small one appears in the menu and the small or large one in the toolbar. But with that, we dont have the ability to exclusively tell the menu to not display the small icon, which is the reasoning for this enhancement.
Comment 6 Regina Henschel 2016-02-22 14:16:38 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf (Jay) Philips from comment #0)
> Ideally we would want every command to have an small and large icon with it,
> but we dont want the menu bar cluttered with icons, so we need a property in
> the .xcu files or menubar.xml to disable the appearance of the small icon in
> the menu bar.

We already have the option to hide the icons in the menus. But that is a global setting. Do you want to make it specific to each menu?

Showing an icon next to the item text is a help for the user to learn the UI of an application. Do you have any requests from users for hiding the icons?

(In reply to V Stuart Foote from comment #2)
> So, is your thought to make use of small icons on menus optional? Perhaps
> collapsing the menu width in response? That would make sense.

The space of the icon is used for the check mark, for menu items which have a on/off state. Because a user can customize menus, it would be some effort to distinguish menus that need this space, from those menus, which do not need it.
Comment 7 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2016-02-24 01:22:35 UTC
(In reply to Regina Henschel from comment #6)
> We already have the option to hide the icons in the menus. But that is a
> global setting. Do you want to make it specific to each menu?

Yes that is what is being requested here.

> Showing an icon next to the item text is a help for the user to learn the UI
> of an application. Do you have any requests from users for hiding the icons?

This isnt a request from users, this is about not cluttering the menus with to many icons and removing icons from entries that shouldnt have it (e.g. Impress's View > Slide Master, which should be a checkbox like the rest of the views).
Comment 8 Robinson Tryon (qubit) 2016-08-25 05:49:47 UTC Comment hidden (obsolete)
Comment 9 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-05-27 13:59:30 UTC
@Maxim: Any thoughts?
Comment 10 Maxim Monastirsky 2017-10-23 23:20:43 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) from comment #0)
> so we need a property in
> the .xcu files or menubar.xml to disable the appearance of the small icon in
> the menu bar.

1) Global solution: Just use command aliases. IMHO makes no sense to add a dedicated property for that, as it will add a lot of complexity for a small gain.
2) Per-xml solution: There is already menu:style="text", but it doesn't work the way we want, so it's worth fixing.
Comment 11 Yousuf Philips (jay) (retired) 2017-10-24 15:30:19 UTC
(In reply to Maxim Monastirsky from comment #10)
> 1) Global solution: Just use command aliases. IMHO makes no sense to add a
> dedicated property for that, as it will add a lot of complexity for a small
> gain.

Was assuming we could use the existing 'Properties' attribute and set bit 4 to be the identifier that the icon shouldnt appear in the menu.

https://opengrok.libreoffice.org/xref/core/officecfg/registry/schema/org/openoffice/Office/UI/Commands.xcs#59

> 2) Per-xml solution: There is already menu:style="text", but it doesn't work
> the way we want, so it's worth fixing.

If this could work, its the better option to me than aliases.
Comment 12 Maxim Monastirsky 2017-10-24 18:27:24 UTC
(In reply to Yousuf Philips (jay) from comment #11)
> Was assuming we could use the existing 'Properties' attribute and set bit 4
> to be the identifier that the icon shouldnt appear in the menu.
Good point. I guess we can use that too (it's handled as a 32 bit number internally).
Comment 13 Maxim Monastirsky 2017-12-17 00:34:14 UTC
So I looked at the code of the menu:style attribute, and menu:style="image" was already forcing the icon to show (regardless of the show icons in menus setting). So likewise I implemented menu:style="text", to force hiding the icon. In addition, I made menu:style survive customization, similar to bug 114261.

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/46627/
Comment 14 Commit Notification 2017-12-17 06:37:38 UTC
Maxim Monastirsky committed a patch related to this issue.
It has been pushed to "master":

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=c8977c4465b5ea2b598bdd71621d1b7c57ec5eb6

tdf#98058 Respect menu:style="text" setting

It will be available in 6.1.0.

The patch should be included in the daily builds available at
http://dev-builds.libreoffice.org/daily/ in the next 24-48 hours. More
information about daily builds can be found at:
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Testing_Daily_Builds

Affected users are encouraged to test the fix and report feedback.
Comment 15 Maxim Monastirsky 2019-04-10 08:46:21 UTC
*** Bug 124645 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***