Cloning/rewording some comments from:
PowerPoint (and other apps) allows users to edit the notes associated with a slide just by entering the text in a edit-form right under the slide*. The current behavior in LibreOffice Impress is to show slides and notes as a single "paper-like" page.
This approach has many problems:
- Lengthy notes overflow from the page instead of scrolling
- Every slide needs to be zoomed in/out, scrolled up/down, because of this
- You have to "care" about font size because of the lack of scrolling
- You cannot edit the slide's contents at the same time as editing notes
- Selecting text is difficult (you have to place the mouse cursor precisely on characters to activate the "text box" that contains the notes)
- Margins all around, wasting tons of precious space on computer screens
- It tries to emulate paper on a piece of software that is definitely not meant for it as a preferred target medium (why would we need this if we could write notes in Writer anyway?)
- You can't view all notes of all slides in a combined manner
*Note: I'd suggest taking advantage of widescreen monitor aspect ratios and putting the notes widget in the sidebar on the right, instead of eating precious vertical space. Besides, most presenter notes are meant to be a collection of short sentences (bullet-point style), which means that they are typically better suited for a vertical layout instead of a horizontal layout (since some lines may not fill the entire space).
Gaetano: If you have nothing to say, don't bother with "+1" comments.
[This is an automated message.]
This bug was filed before the changes to Bugzilla on 2011-10-16. Thus it
started right out as NEW without ever being explicitly confirmed. The bug is
changed to state NEEDINFO for this reason. To move this bug from NEEDINFO back
to NEW please check if the bug still persists with the 3.5.0 beta1 or beta2 prereleases.
Details on how to test the 3.5.0 beta1 can be found at:
more detail on this bulk operation: http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/RFC-Operation-Spamzilla-tp3607474p3607474.html
changed to enhancement request
Created attachment 93080 [details]
First rough mockup of the UI for adding notes
Created attachment 93086 [details]
Quick mockup of notes UI (hidden by default)
Created attachment 93087 [details]
Quick mockup of notes UI (shown)
So, the basic idea behind my proposal is to have an additional pane for notes, collapsed by default.
To add notes, one would expand the pane. LibreOffice would automatically bring cursor focus to the Notes field and, if the zoom level was set to "Fit width and height", it would adjust the zoom level so that the slide fit snugly above the Notes pane.
Great enhancement for impress, so lets see how hard it is to implement.
Math has a similar panel for typing in text, though it doesnt have formatting capabilities.
*** Bug 92391 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
*** Bug 95994 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Added CC from bug 95994.
Migrating Whiteboard tags to Keywords: (needsDevEval, topicUI)
This seems to have slipped out of sight. As a presenter this is a key reason I might not use Impress. I wonder if we might get a developer assessment of this issue please, which while strictly an enhancement actually conceals a usability bug.