Bug Hunting Session
Bug 102506 - Find Bar Ctrl+F (search of Cells in Calc): add Expert configuration option to set search for cell Values in stead of Formulas
Summary: Find Bar Ctrl+F (search of Cells in Calc): add Expert configuration option to...
Status: NEW
Alias: None
Product: LibreOffice
Classification: Unclassified
Component: Calc (show other bugs)
Version:
(earliest affected)
Inherited From OOo
Hardware: All All
: medium enhancement
Assignee: Not Assigned
URL:
Whiteboard:
Keywords:
: 93911 94664 (view as bug list)
Depends on:
Blocks: Find-Toolbar
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2016-09-25 05:37 UTC by mahfiaz
Modified: 2019-09-25 08:44 UTC (History)
7 users (show)

See Also:
Crash report or crash signature:


Attachments
Screenshot (16.93 KB, image/png)
2016-09-25 11:57 UTC, m.a.riosv
Details

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.
Description mahfiaz 2016-09-25 05:37:32 UTC
This has been reported several times and always been marked as NOTABUG.
It IS a bug, this used to work differently.

1. Open Calc
2. Enter =2+3 somewhere
3. Search for 5
4. Search key not found

The problem is expanded by the fact that there is no way to change the behavior anymore. (Ctrl+H dialog settings used to affect Ctrl+F box as well, but this was removed for other reasons)
Comment 1 mahfiaz 2016-09-25 05:38:42 UTC
*** Bug 93911 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 2 mahfiaz 2016-09-25 06:03:21 UTC
*** Bug 94664 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 3 m.a.riosv 2016-09-25 11:57:15 UTC
Created attachment 127622 [details]
Screenshot

With search & replace [Ctrl+H] the option is there under other options.

Version: 5.2.2.2 (x64)
Build ID: 8f96e87c890bf8fa77463cd4b640a2312823f3ad
CPU Threads: 4; OS Version: Windows 6.19; UI Render: GL; 
Locale: es-ES (es_ES); Calc: CL
Comment 4 Cor Nouws 2016-09-25 14:07:46 UTC
In version 3.3.0.4

Ctrl+F doesn't find the value either, unless you select "Search in Values" under the options.
Same as in a daily from 20160924.. (same as 93911..)
Comment 5 mahfiaz 2016-09-25 14:17:10 UTC
Cor, by options you mean Search and replace dialog (Ctrl+H)?
In that case are you able to search for values in Ctrl+F field with recent builds?
Comment 6 brucehohl 2016-09-25 14:46:30 UTC
Since there seems to various opinions regarding this UI choice/convention, here are the thoughts of an accountant who has used various spreadsheets nearly everyday for 20+ years:

(1) I find it unintuitive that neither Ctrl+F nor Ctrl+H search Values BY DEFAULT because nearly all of my searches are performed to find calculated values (as opposed to characters within Formulas).  If fact, generally I only search Formulas when performing a Search & Replace to update formulas.

(2) Neither search feature includes a single click way to set search for Values. Ctrl+F does not include a Values check box.  For Ctrl+H the Values selection is placed under 'Other options' in a selection list requiring 3 more clicks.

(3) In LO 5.2.1.2 Ctrl+H > Other Options > Similarity search setting is retained after LO is closed/reopened yet any other setting under 'Other options' is not retained. It might be nice if all choices were retained after close/reopen to keep 'Search in = Values' ... and perhaps if Ctrl+F honored this setting but a checkbox per (2) above would be more clear.
Comment 7 mahfiaz 2016-09-25 14:54:37 UTC
bruce, (3b) search and replace settings are also discarded when you do a search using Ctrl+F search box.
Comment 8 Cor Nouws 2016-09-25 19:03:16 UTC
(In reply to mahfiaz from comment #5)
> Cor, by options you mean Search and replace dialog (Ctrl+H)?
> In that case are you able to search for values in Ctrl+F field with recent
> builds?

Ah, indeed, that option does not retain for search in the search bar. Messy..
Reopening.

(In reply to brucehohl from comment #6)

> (1) I find it unintuitive that neither Ctrl+F nor Ctrl+H search Values BY
> DEFAULT because nearly all of my searches are performed to find calculated
> values (as opposed to characters within Formulas).  If fact, generally I
> only search Formulas when performing a Search & Replace to update formulas.
> (2) Neither search feature includes a single click way to set search for
> Values. Ctrl+F does not include a Values check box.  For Ctrl+H the Values
> selection is placed under 'Other options' in a selection list requiring 3
> more clicks.

Could you please open a separate issue for (1) Bruce?
Version " Inherited from OOo"  and libreoffice-ux-advice@lists.freedesktop.org in cc?
And add (2) as argumentation?

> (3) In LO 5.2.1.2 Ctrl+H > Other Options > Similarity search setting is
> retained after LO is closed/reopened yet any other setting under 'Other
> options' is not retained. It might be nice if all choices were retained
> after close/reopen to keep 'Search in = Values' ... and perhaps if Ctrl+F
> honored this setting but a checkbox per (2) above would be more clear.

I opened bug 98544 some time ago: "Find & Replace dialog should remember the 'other options' state". But that is only one part of the discussion, not the relation with the Find toolbar. One could also say: options from dialog should not be used by default, and add check to toolbar to use the options as set in the dialog..
Comment 9 Cor Nouws 2016-09-25 19:18:46 UTC
(In reply to Cor Nouws from comment #8)

> Could you please open a separate issue for (1) Bruce?
> Version " Inherited from OOo"  and
> libreoffice-ux-advice@lists.freedesktop.org in cc?
> And add (2) as argumentation?

libreoffice-ux-advise@lists.freedesktop.org (with an s..)
Comment 10 V Stuart Foote 2016-09-25 22:08:45 UTC
As ruesult of commit for bug 62601 - Quick search (ctrl+f) affected by invisible option from the search-and-replace dialog 

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/libreoffice/core/commit/?id=df9e6ab514ca1c97c7eb69e169c958619c03d429

The Find Bar (<Ctrl>+F) TextFind widget will only "search-in" Formula and textual values by default.

That commit was correct--but a strong use case can be made for needing a default search that includes calculated cell values in addition to formula values.

Request enhancement adding an  Expert configuration option to toggle the Find Bar default "search-in" to include Formula and textual values, and the calculated values for cells--i.e. the Other options: Search in -> Values of the Find & Replace (<Ctrl>+H) dialog.
Comment 11 Gunter Ohrner 2017-05-21 09:59:56 UTC
(In reply to V Stuart Foote from comment #10)
> That commit was correct--but a strong use case can be made for needing a
> default search that includes calculated cell values in addition to formula
> values.
> 
> Request enhancement adding an  Expert configuration option to toggle the
> Find Bar default "search-in" to include Formula and textual values, and the
> calculated values for cells--i.e. the Other options: Search in -> Values of
> the Find & Replace (<Ctrl>+H) dialog.

Actually, I'd strongly assume that especially novice users would expect the search to work on the data one sees, and not (only) on the data one does not see.

I see a point in searching for both values and formulas, but I've a hard time imagining a usecase where a default search for formulas only makes sense.

At least for my use cases, I'm always searching for parts of displayed cell contents, in most cases concatenated or on other ways transformed strings.

Without being able to check, I also have the impression that earlier versions of Libre/Open/StarOffice Calc had a different (more sensible) default search behaviour.

So maybe an expert setting the other way around would make sense - making searching values AND formulas the default, and implement the suggested expert setting here to be able to change the default.

BTW, replacing should be disabled if the search is set to "Values" - I just tested this and it currently silently replaces the whole formular by a static copy of the computed value, on which then the replacement is performed. This causes data loss and should not be allowed in my opinion.

Even worse, in this case even "Undo" does NOT help any more, as it simply restores the original text, but still as a static copy - the formula is still lost and apparently this cannot be undone! :-/ (LibreOffice 5.1.6.2 from Ubuntu)
Comment 12 V Stuart Foote 2017-09-11 18:03:39 UTC
*** Bug 112271 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 13 lvm 2017-09-12 08:51:53 UTC
Bug 112271 is about two counterintuitive default values in F&R 'Other options' and only one - searching in formulas instead of values, is discussed here. The other one - searching by rows instead of by columns, is not mentioned yet. Should we expand the scope of this bug to include rows-columns or keep it separate?