This is a rebash of bug 105164. Pasting of unformatted text into an area with direct formatting, will result in applying the direct formatting to the pasted text. When pasting a single paragraph it's quite acceptable.
However, the behavior will be unexpected and counter-intuitive when pasting multiple paragraphs, because only the last paragraph gets formatted.
There are lots of easy workarounds, but the behavior looks quite odd when pasting multiple paragraphs.
Steps to Reproduce:
1. Copy text between the dashes into a new Writer document
2. Note that everything is pasted without direct formatting (Font Color: Automatic)
3. Select ABC (apply some direct formatting; bold/underline/Highlight/Font Color)
4. Set the cursor after the 'C' and hit enter (creating a new paragraph; which has the same formatting as ABC. Note: it can happen by accident).
5. Cut/paste or drag "DEF-WXY" into the paragraph created in step 3.
6. WXY will be formatted to the applied formatting of the paragraph below ABC. The rest will be black without direct formatting (Font Color: Automatic)
As an alternative I have added test file. With two paragraphs with different formatting.
WXY will be formatted to the applied formatting of the paragraph below ABC. The rest will be black without direct formatting (and font color: Automatic)
As steve -_- already commented in bug 105164#c11: only adapting to the formatting for the last row unexpected and counter-intuitive. Three possible solutions:
1. Not the last but the first paragraph should be formatted (problem and source are nearby)
2. All text dragged into a certain formatted paragraph should adapt to the formatting
2. No formatting should be applied
Personally I prefer the last one, because it's quite common behavior in most text editors.
- MS Word
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Google Docs
- Mac Texteditor
User Profile Reset: No
Build ID: 99eed82939999d9a9689788a4134dd05d5c20c5a
CPU Threads: 4; OS Version: Windows 6.19; UI Render: default;
TinderBox: Win-x86@42, Branch:master, Time: 2017-01-14_23:37:40
Locale: nl-NL (nl_NL); Calc: CL
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
Setting to NEW. Confirmation: https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105164#c11
--> let's bring this to the attention of the design team
(In reply to Telesto from comment #0)
> Expected Results:
> 1. Not the last but the first paragraph should be formatted (problem and
> source are nearby)
> 2. All text dragged into a certain formatted paragraph should adapt to the
> 3. No formatting should be applied
Definitely yes to 3. We also aim to promote formatting by styles and the direct formatting shouldn't "made easy". As a rule of thumb direct formatting must not be applied or inherited automatically.
Guess we can remove UX safely.
It's a little bit more difficult: when you paste the paragraphs *ABC|DEF* within the bold word (at the pipe sign) you expect the first and last line to be formatted in bold and everything else taking what is defined in the source => WFM. When you paste at *|ABC* it should be the same and similarly when there is no text at all.
Assuming we do no formatting it becomes
(removing the bold formatting from *ABC*)
So after all I'm for closing this ticket as WFM.