IMHO, the current cell formatting/borders dialog makes applying borders to cells very hard in general. It looks confusing, outdated, and lacks ease of use (also functionality). Let me explain:
- There are no visible-at-first-glance border definitions, user has to chase through a drop-down menu.
- The definitions in this menu are confusing, they all look the same, user has to define thickness via setting it manually.
- When selected multiple cells with different borders, it is very complicated to set a batch border setting, and this does not respond quite well, for instance in Excel this responds quite well to user behaviour.
- Dotted borders look blurry and outdated. So as thick borders.
- Set predefined borders, so user would choose thicknesses at first glance. This includes fixing border widths, so it would not disappear when selecting a cell. I recall there was a bug report about this, I'll add it here.
- Hide thickness width selection under a button, so user would not get confused.
- Improve border rendering, so it would look stylish (especially dotted ones).
- Border preview box could be a little bit bigger, so it would be easier to apply borders by mouse clicks.
Feel free to add any suggestions under this thread.
I change status of this useful meta-bug to NEW to remove it from the list of UNCONFIRMED bugs.
Summary edited to indicate the meta-nature of this enhancement / bug. Do we have meta-enhancements?
All the open bugs in the See Also list should instead be in the Depends on field. It would be good if someone from QA could confirm it is OK to make this bulk-change, as it will cause quite a few emails to go out. Some clarity on the policy with regard to meta-enhancements would also be good.
I notice that several of the bugs in the See Also list, have their own small See Also list (excluding the back link to this bug), so there is evidently a bit of a tangle here.
*** Bug 75124 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Can confirm this "bug" for LibO Calc 18.104.22.168 on Win7/64 and even Calc 4.3 beta1, in special case of the tast from #75124 :
Task: to know what width each border of a cell has. Can't find it out using Format Cell -- Borders dialog. Don't see any workaround.
Created attachment 109846 [details]
Dialog with no option to see an old pt-value of a border
Same Problem still in V22.214.171.124 beta 1 (and in Writer in the dialog for borders around the paragraph)
See the attached screenshot:
You see three thick borders and one thin, there is no way so see the pt-value of the thin one, if you click on the left thin border, it is changed to the value displayed in the right, here to the thick one.
Perhaps this action "changing" the thickness of a border should be a 2 step action, first click display actual values, then you could change the values on the right, click again the new values will be done to the border, you click on.